AMD's GPU Performance API Library 3.5 Drops ROCm/HSA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

No one want OpenCL compute anymore ... you can put all this shit into the garbage.

we want Vulkan-only based Compute.
    Thank you for your insightful contributions to the discussion. Please, sit down.

Comment

No one want OpenCL compute anymore ... you can put all this shit into the garbage.

we want Vulkan-only based Compute.
      crap!

Just today on the darktable mailing list: "...Will upgrading to a newer GFX give me a significant performance boost? Any GFX recommendations for that purpose?"

Why can't AMD provide an easy working OpenCL solution for their graphics cards?
      Please!
      How many more years do we need wait?
      I'm also still using the RadeonPRO 19.30 solution besides of MESA for my RX580. What if my card breaks? Do I need to buy an old AMD card or Nvidia?

Comment

It really look like they want to translate opencl to spir-v to execute it on the target hardware:

Contribute to KhronosGroup/SPIR development by creating an account on GitHub.

So how far is that away from something that is useable for general purpose?

If you dig deeper into this crap you get that they do this whole spir-v stuff to obfuscate their holy code and hardware.

AMDs official comment you can find here:

I already ask this question in Drivers & Software section but nobody answer. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From adrenalin 18.7.1 to 18.8.2 clBuildProgram exited with CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAI...

is:

First of all, let me clear some points about SPIR support. We never supported SPIR-V.

muahahahaha! You got owned by your Radeon hardware ..
        Last edited by Naquatis; 16 December 2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
          First of all, let me clear some points about SPIR support. We never supported SPIR-V.
          I think the intent of that comment was in response to a statement that we had dropped SPIR-V support, which AFAIK was not the case. Far be it from me to tell people what to complain about, but IMO the real issue here is that we dropped SPIR support before adding SPIR-V support.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I think the intent of that comment was in response to a statement that we had dropped SPIR-V support, which AFAIK was not the case. Far be it from me to tell people what to complain about, but IMO the real issue here is that we dropped SPIR support before adding SPIR-V support.
            Yeah sorry, I can not see all the work you invest and from that point this are only harsh comments from a customer who bought a RX 5700 XT to swap it in and out from time to time to see if AMD OpenCL is already working with Mesa. My new plan is to throw this card into a Windows gaming rig and use the NVidia from there to run Cuda on Linux.

Comment

really whats wrong with your AMD people? i have 4 vega64 on by desk right now and they do nothing because OpenCL on vanilla Fedora/Debian is super shit.
              What problems are you seeing with Vega64 ? I didn't think you were running anything that used SYCL or SPIR/SPIR-V.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
                Yeah sorry, I can not see all the work you invest and from that point this are only harsh comments from a customer who bought a RX 5700 XT to swap it in and out from time to time to see if AMD OpenCL is already working with Mesa. My new plan is to throw this card into a Windows gaming rig and use the NVidia from there to run Cuda on Linux.
                When you say "if AMD OpenCL is already working with Mesa" are you talking about co-existence (AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL package working with Mesa GL/radv over an upstream kernel) or about the old clover implementation in Mesa ?

I'm asking because AFAIK the first one should work with a sufficiently new kernel (albeit the OpenCL support still being a bit rough) while we stopped working on the second years ago.

Separately you have probably noticed ongoing kernel work for the KFD/ROCm paths on Navi in preparation for getting the upper level components (OpenCL and HIP over ROCR).
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

When you say "if AMD OpenCL is already working with Mesa" are you talking about co-existence (AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL package working with Mesa GL/radv over an upstream kernel) or about the old clover implementation in Mesa ?

I'm asking because AFAIK the first one should work with a sufficiently new kernel (albeit the OpenCL support still being a bit rough) while we stopped working on the second years ago.

Separately you have probably noticed ongoing kernel work for the KFD/ROCm paths on Navi in preparation for getting the upper level components (OpenCL and HIP over ROCR).
                  Last time I tested the RX 5700 XT was with Kernel 5.4.1 with https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/
                  The git link on this side do the same like the bash script you find as green comment below.

Maybe something missing for RX 5700 XT?
                  RX 480 works fine.

No idea if Kernel 5.4.3 will change anything on that situation?

Comment

it's plainly obvious oss opencl on amd hardware is a disaster, so my question is, what's the possibility of opencl over vulkan? like a clvk or something?
                    Last edited by duby229; 16 December 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

According to David Airlie Vulkan is not able to run CL. Vulkan did not have pointers but it will get an extension for that. In Airlie's opinion Vulkan OpenCL is expected far more in the future than the other solutions.

I tested the RX 5700 XT again with Kernel 5.4.3 and amd-ucode but no way to get this Red Devil to work with OpenCL.
                      I tried the Blender release version and even build Blender from source with all bits and pieces but it still say:
                      "No compatible GPU found for path tracing"

So if I need to install the complete AMD closed source driver I would finally go with NVidia because without Mesa, RADV and Gallium Nine there is simply no benefit.
                      Last edited by Naquatis; 16 December 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X