Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simplest way to force AMDGPU to powersaving mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplest way to force AMDGPU to powersaving mode?

I see Wattman and Corectl but I don't want to have to run an app to force the GPU (RX580) into powersaving mode. Is there a simple switch to force minimal power state?

The GPU will automatically clock down to it's lowest clock and voltages levels when it's idle. Support for fully powering down the card (if your board supports it) won't be available until kernel 5.6 at least due to dependencies on audio driver changes.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      The GPU will automatically clock down to it's lowest clock and voltages levels when it's idle. Support for fully powering down the card (if your board supports it) won't be available until kernel 5.6 at least due to dependencies on audio driver changes.
      any change in that prediction? I have a laptop that is suffering right now for this I think...

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

any change in that prediction? I have a laptop that is suffering right now for this I think...
        Hybrid gfx laptops already support dynamic power down of the dGPU.

Comment

Hybrid gfx laptops already support dynamic power down of the dGPU.
          my laptop from 5.2 to 5.4 uses 8,6 W for min , average 9,5 W, sensors don't give me any compsumption any temperature, etc when no app were running with it. Is it that it was powered off? I think not because the same laptop in linux 5.5 had a consumption of 6-7 W ONLY in the dGPU , sensors told me that the dGPU was using 6-7 W of power with NO apps running, and the totally consumption was... 10 or 10,5 W? I think the dGPU, at least in that laptop is not totally powered off never. Because in 5.5 with the dGPU using 6 W the totally consumption would be 8 +6, 14, and it wasnt...

Comment

my laptop from 5.2 to 5.4 uses 8,6 W for min , average 9,5 W, sensors don't give me any compsumption any temperature, etc when no app were running with it. Is it that it was powered off? I think not because the same laptop in linux 5.5 had a consumption of 6-7 W ONLY in the dGPU , sensors told me that the dGPU was using 6-7 W of power with NO apps running, and the totally consumption was... 10 or 10,5 W? I think the dGPU, at least in that laptop is not totally powered off never. Because in 5.5 with the dGPU using 6 W the totally consumption would be 8 +6, 14, and it wasnt...
            Early 5.5rcs had a bug which prevented the dGPU from powering down. That was fixed pretty soon after:
            https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...23105c8fc8aed3
            Last edited by agd5f; 13 January 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

For Hybrid laptops, the dGPU power is controlled via ACPI. This has been supported for years. For desktop dGPUs, the driver controls that GPU power directly and this was recently wired up for power savings.

Comment

Early 5.5rcs had a bug which prevented the dGPU from powering down. That was fixed pretty soon after:
                https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...23105c8fc8aed3
                It is weird that the difference Between dgpu power off and power on in sensors output were 6-7 W and in total terms the consumption was only 0.5-1 W more.. there is an error in sensors output for the dgpu, there is no powering off feature in my laptop or there is a bestial improve in the battery usage on my laptop with 5.5 that is mitigating the dgpu ..

Comment

For Hybrid laptops, the dGPU power is controlled via ACPI. This has been supported for years. For desktop dGPUs, the driver controls that GPU power directly and this was recently wired up for power savings.
                  It is better to have less power use. This improves the life cycle of the things

Comment

It is weird that the difference Between dgpu power off and power on in sensors output were 6-7 W and in total terms the consumption was only 0.5-1 W more.. there is an error in sensors output for the dgpu, there is no powering off feature in my laptop or there is a bestial improve in the battery usage on my laptop with 5.5 that is mitigating the dgpu ..
                    There is no way to read the power usage of the dGPU when it is off. To read the power usage, you need to turn it on.

Comment

Working...
                    X