No announcement yet.

Where is Catalyst 9-1??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any plans to decouple the Linux release date from the Windows one? It doesn't make much sense at all right now. At least from the Linux user's point of view. There's no benefit to us to wait for the Windows release.

Comment

who is saying that the linux driver is waiting for the windows driver?
      I think it is a good thing they are coupled. This way we get a new driver every month the same time the windows people get one. Unlike some other graphics vendor, where you can wait ages ...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        who is saying that the linux driver is waiting for the windows driver?
        No one needs to actually say it because it's a fact that is easily proven by looking at the release date of every Linux Catalyst till now: they always, *always* appeared on the same day as the Windows release. So this is a fact.

I think it is a good thing they are coupled. This way we get a new driver every month the same time the windows people get one. Unlike some other graphics vendor, where you can wait ages ...
        That is wrong thinking. We should get a driver when it's ready, not when the Windows version is ready. Right now, we have the situation of either getting an unfinished driver because it HAD to be release due to the Windows one getting released, or having to wait for the driver even though it's ready because the Windows one isn't ready yet.

Comment

The Windows and Linux drivers share a lot of common code, and that code shares a lot of regression test coverage. If we split the releases then we're splitting the code and losing the ability to leverage test coverage across the OSes. The end result would be lower effective test coverage on Linux and more problems slipping through.
          Test signature

Comment

Don't you think official public beta releases would show those bugs much earlier too? I like the NV beta drivers, in most cases they are pretty stable and in case of huger problems updated relatively fast. So why don't get the best of both and provide beta + stable drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              No one needs to actually say it because it's a fact that is easily proven by looking at the release date of every Linux Catalyst till now: they always, *always* appeared on the same day as the Windows release. So this is a fact.
              yes, they appear on the same day, but that does not mean that the linux driver is waiting for the windows driver. This can change every single month.

That is wrong thinking. We should get a driver when it's ready, not when the Windows version is ready. Right now, we have the situation of either getting an unfinished driver because it HAD to be release due to the Windows one getting released, or having to wait for the driver even though it's ready because the Windows one isn't ready yet.
              have you read the phoronix article a time ago, how the release work? There are always some puffer days on the schedule. So what you are writting is pretty much unproven and unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphax View Post
                I tried about 12 different kernel versions today to isolate where the really bad stuttering started, and also came to the conclusion it started between 2.6.23 and 2.6.24.

[...]

I've now also seen that even before 2.6.24 there is still some stuttering, but it's only barely noticeable and seems to go away completely at random moments. It's so subtle that I initially thought the stuttering was gone completely.
                Exciting! Please, be more specific! Could you show us your results in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  yes, they appear on the same day, but that does not mean that the linux driver is waiting for the windows driver. This can change every single month.
                  Did you actually even read bridgman's reply where he is confirming that the releases are linked together before trying to argue that they are not?

Comment

Did you actually even read bridgman's reply where he is confirming that the releases are linked together before trying to argue that they are not?
                    He meant that sometimes, some platform specific issues could act as blockers either on windows or linux driver. This is not in contrast with the fact that most of the code-base is the same, since the platform specific code is not the same!

So what they said is not much in contrast... if energyman didn't mean something different from what I understood

Finally I think this "supposed delay" may be due to the Christmas holidays, and that there was no fixed date for the release.. so... there's no reason to question or speculate: it will arrive before the end of the month and don't expect anything special until you can read the changelog.

Comment

The original issue still persists. Since the Windows drivers need Microsoft Certification before they can be released, and the Linux drivers never appear before the Windows ones, then in effect the Linux users don't get their release because the Microsoft Certification isn't ready yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X