AMDKFD/ROCm GPU Compute Can Work On POWER Systems Like Raptor's Talos II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDKFD/ROCm GPU Compute Can Work On POWER Systems Like Raptor's Talos II

Phoronix: AMDKFD/ROCm GPU Compute Can Work On POWER Systems Like Raptor's Talos II

While NVIDIA graphics in IBM POWER systems have been known to make a powerful combination for supercomputer deployments, for those wanting a libre GPU compute experience can also use POWER with AMD Radeon's open-source driver with a pending patch to the kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly, this is about a year late. That's when AMD started releasing PCIe 4-capable MI60 GPUs and POWER 9 was the only PCIe 4 game in town. Now, Zen 2 CPUs have PCIe 4 and surpass POWER 9 on pretty much all fronts.

Worse, for POWER, the next gen won't even be on 7 nm. I guess they had Global Foundries obligations to fulfill.

Well, at least this is good for people who need a fully-libre stack or have other reasons for using POWER.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Well, at least this is good for people who need a fully-libre stack or have other reasons for using POWER.
      That's actually a growing requirement, especially outside the United States. The required AMD PSP (basically equivalent to Intel ME) makes the Zen CPUs pretty much useless unless your organization can accept the data tampering / theft risks. Even the AMD card-side firmware is a sticking point, but right now it's better than the NVIDIA situation so there is a definite use case for AMD HSA on POWER.

POWER is also an open ISA. x86 is not and will never be. That limits x86's usefulness overall.

Also, my understanding is P10 is 7nm. Don't confuse the P9 14nm refresh with P10.
      Last edited by madscientist159; 24 November 2019, 05:38 PM. Reason: Clarify PSP/ME

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Sadly, this is about a year late. That's when AMD started releasing PCIe 4-capable MI60 GPUs and POWER 9 was the only PCIe 4 game in town.
        In our defence, the support has been there for a while - this patch is just changing kernel config logic to enable it by default.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

In our defence, the support has been there for a while - this patch is just changing kernel config logic to enable it by default.
          With 5.4 POWER can handle the not-quite-64-bit-bypass logic required for the Vega (and presumably Navi) GPUs, which is why the config change makes sense at this point. Userspace is still a mess though; there's a bunch of pull requests to fix POWER builds that have not been acted on in quite a while (well over a year). Any chance we could get some action on those?

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post
            Also, my understanding is P10 is 7nm. Don't confuse the P9 14nm refresh with P10.
            If you follow my link, the slide they presented @ Hot Chips (August 2019) shows P10 in 2021 and simply states "New Process Technology". For their sake, I hope it's at least 7 nm EUV and that there's no schedule slip.

Still, that leaves a gap of probably 1.5 - 2.5 years where they're not really going to offer any better performance or efficiency.
            Last edited by coder; 24 November 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I didn't mean to point a finger of blame - just stating that the timing was sub-optimal. Still, you're entitled to state your case.

Comment

A 100% closed/proprietary Nvidia GPU is the last thing people would stick into an otherwise 100% open system :-) At least I wouldn't invest my money into a Power system just to compromise security later on by such an action.

Comment

Working...
                X