Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.4 Is Big For AMD Radeon Users From New GPU Support To Slightly Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    With 5.4 being a longterm kernel i do think the last longterm kernel be included.
    I miss kernel 4.19.
    I'm glad you said 4.19 and not 4.18!

I believe it was 4.18 had a bug where it waited on a particular feature on Threadripper, but the idiot who wrote the code didn't add a timeout. The feature wasn't present, so weeeeee...It was whatever the kernel was that was installed on Ubuntu 18.10 I believe. You'd have to drop into single user mode, enable networking, and grab a new kernel from Ubuntu's mainline kernels site.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I'm looking forward to the proton crash issue with 3000 series Ryzen (clearcpuid 514 was a workaround), and also finally Zen2 temp monitoring built in. ( I could never get that github zenpower thing to work, not once).
      Did you try lmsensors? Just curious.

Comment

I think I have only tried this:
        Zenpower is Linux kernel driver for reading temperature, voltage(SVI2), current(SVI2) and power(SVI2) for AMD Zen family CPUs. - ocerman/zenpower

Don't know much about upstream k10temp or lmsensors,
        I don't even know howto add those particular upstream packages for Pop_OS 19.10.

Comment

Don't know much about upstream k10temp or lmsensors,
          I don't even know howto add those particular upstream packages for Pop_OS 19.10.
          There is no such thing as "upstream packages" in this case, You have to use brute force

Code:
          git clone https://github.com/groeck/k10temp.git
          cd k10temp
          make
          make install
          And then either rmmod exising k10temp module & modprobe it again or reboot. You may also want to backup Your original k10temp.ko before that, just in case.

lmsensors won't do unless Your motherboard does report Tdie temperature (very unlikely).

Comment

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thought apparently 5.4 comes out on Sunday so not long to wait. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post

There is no such thing as "upstream packages" in this case, You have to use brute force

Code:
              git clone https://github.com/groeck/k10temp.git
              cd k10temp
              make
              make install
              And then either rmmod exising k10temp module & modprobe it again or reboot. You may also want to backup Your original k10temp.ko before that, just in case.

lmsensors won't do unless Your motherboard does report Tdie temperature (very unlikely).
              This is the output of lmsesnors with K10tmp for me, shows Tdie and Tctl

Adapter: PCI adapter
              Tdie: +33.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
              Tctl: +33.0°C

Comment

I'm looking forward to the proton crash issue with 3000 series Ryzen (clearcpuid 514 was a workaround), and also finally Zen2 temp monitoring built in. ( I could never get that github zenpower thing to work, not once).
                Never come across that, is it game dependant ?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Never come across that, is it game dependant ?
                  Yeah its proton games mostly from what I can tell. I did have some odd system freezes with my 3600 without it.
                  Still not 100% sure its resolved the problem completely by using that workaround because some odd things have happened still (plasma desktop freezes etc). But less frequent.

Comment

Good to see the high percentile frametimes coming down.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

This is the output of lmsesnors with K10tmp for me, shows Tdie and Tctl
                      Yes, with proper k10temp lmsensors will report Tdie temperatures, but highly likely won't without it (unless motherboard sensor exposes it).

Comment

Working...
                      X