Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Lands EXT_direct_state_access For OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In Mesa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Lands EXT_direct_state_access For OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In Mesa

    Phoronix: AMD Lands EXT_direct_state_access For OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In Mesa

    In recent weeks AMD driver developers have been working on EXT_direct_state_access improvements within Mesa and following their latest code push today now support the D.S.A. extension for OpenGL compatibility profile contexts...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Compatiiblity

  • #2
    DSA reminds me of the German RPG Das Schwarze Auge (English Wikipedia article).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: AMD Lands EXT_direct_state_access For OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In Mesa
      [-]

      ...EXT_direct_state_access had already been enabled for core GL contexts.

      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Compatiiblity
      I only can find EXT_direct_state_access for OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In current Mesa git, now. - NO core GL.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

        I only can find EXT_direct_state_access for OpenGL Compatibility Contexts In current Mesa git, now. - NO core GL.
        Core GL has ARB_direct_state_access (so does compatibility). EXT_direct_state_access only adds stuff for state that is in older GL, so it's pretty much useless for core, unless you prefer the API for some reason.

        Comment


        • #5
          I wonder if you get ARB or EXT if you request core context on the notorious nVidia proprietary drivers that have been giving compatibility contexts out instead.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bearoso View Post

            Core GL has ARB_direct_state_access (so does compatibility). EXT_direct_state_access only adds stuff for state that is in older GL, so it's pretty much useless for core, unless you prefer the API for some reason.
            It's useful for compatibility. There are apparently older games that try to use it.

            Anyway, it sounds like the plan is to enable it for core, they just need to figure out exactly how they're going to handle the legacy gl bits there.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 11-19-2019, 04:47 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              I wonder if you get ARB or EXT if you request core context on the notorious nVidia proprietary drivers that have been giving compatibility contexts out instead.
              They are two completely separate extensions. Apps get whichever one they request.

              Comment


              • #8
                Mmmm .....
                who said that openGL will be made obsolete by vulkan?
                there is too much software around based on openGL ...
                and as long as these will improve in performance, it will always be a good thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bearoso View Post

                  Core GL has ARB_direct_state_access (so does compatibility). EXT_direct_state_access only adds stuff for state that is in older GL, so it's pretty much useless for core, unless you prefer the API for some reason.
                  Yes, yes. Seconds after pushed button 'Post Reply' I remembered ARB vs EXT...
                  ...but was out for another meeting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The whole idea of binding objects (textures, shaders etc.) to the context before being able to configure them is just plain idiotic. They really should have made it a more object oriented API instead of such stupid mechanisms.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X