Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Gets Some Promising Fixes For Linux 5.4: Clang, Undervolting, Golden Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Gets Some Promising Fixes For Linux 5.4: Clang, Undervolting, Golden Settings

Phoronix: AMDGPU Gets Some Promising Fixes For Linux 5.4: Clang, Undervolting, Golden Settings

While we are getting late into the Linux 5.4 cycle, there still is some interesting AMDGPU work settling down...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can I set pp_dpm_mclk back to 0 (after setting it to 3) now? Under Linux 5.0 when I set it to 3 it gets stuck there.

(Vega 10)

Comment

- A fix for under-volting on Vega 10 GPUs as the PowerPlay code up to now didn't allow undervolting for the seventh performance state.
      Oh man, I hope that this solves the very problem I've been having with undervolting my Vega 64. Really weird behavior when you try to change the voltage on the higher performance state. For me, it likes making every power state run at 1.20v if you try to fiddle with it. It's insane.

Comment

Fucking 2019 and you need CLI or third-party softwares to make overclock, undervolt change fans speed because AMD is not capable to make an damn control panel for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          Fucking 2019 and you need CLI or third-party softwares to make overclock, undervolt change fans speed because AMD is not capable to make an damn control panel for Linux.
          I'm not going to bash them on it since they seem to still have some work to get it stable in the first place when manipulating these values manually via /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage. Any tool that gets made is likely going to interact with the same mechanisms you would use if you were to do it yourself in the terminal. So one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post
            Oh man, I hope that this solves the very problem I've been having with undervolting my Vega 64. Really weird behavior when you try to change the voltage on the higher performance state. For me, it likes making every power state run at 1.20v if you try to fiddle with it. It's insane.
            that sounds... fucky... pretty sure when I undervolt mine it just works... will have to check later

Comment

I applaud the AMD devs for doing this. Writing a custom closed proprietary ugly gamerfied gui, a different one for each gpu vendor no less, is the windows way of doing things. Putting amdgpu in the kernel and exposing it as an api is far superior. That way you can have a monitoring / overclocking gui which works for amd, intel etc. If only nvidia did the same thing.

Comment

Check out corectrl

Comment

Originally posted by unit327 View Post

I applaud the AMD devs for doing this. Writing a custom closed proprietary ugly gamerfied gui, a different one for each gpu vendor no less, is the windows way of doing things. Putting amdgpu in the kernel and exposing it as an api is far superior. That way you can have a monitoring / overclocking gui which works for amd, intel etc. If only nvidia did the same thing.
                  There is the added benefit that if you don't like what exists, you can always make your own as well if all the knobs and switches are exposed via sysfs.
                  Originally posted by boxie View Post

that sounds... fucky... pretty sure when I undervolt mine it just works... will have to check later
                  It's really fucky. Whenever I touch voltages, they all just seem to jump to 1.20v. If I undo the voltage change, it goes back to normal. It's insane. I've had this issue ever since I could start fiddling with /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage.
                  Last edited by jrdoane; 31 October 2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Looking at their windows control panel, there is hope we never see one from AMD. Seriously, I can search the switches and type them in a commandline faster than that damn thing opens.

Comment

Working...
                    X