AMD Linux Graphics Driver Prepping "DMCUB" Support For Renoir APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Graphics Driver Prepping "DMCUB" Support For Renoir APUs

Phoronix: AMD Linux Graphics Driver Prepping "DMCUB" Support For Renoir APUs

While we have seen a lot of open-source AMD Linux graphics driver patches for Renoir and that initial support within the 5.4 kernel, support for this 2020 APU platform is still maturing. The newest work on the Linux upbringing for Renoir is enabling the "DMCUB" support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Panel Self Refresh works on previous APU or is it a new feature for Renoir and newer?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      Does Panel Self Refresh works on previous APU or is it a new feature for Renoir and newer?
      What he said.
      But I guess when something is called DMCUnit B, and if driver code for that is written, it might be some exclusive new HW. But then that would be a point to look forward, save up some money and hope the E-350 based notebook will still do for mobile work.

But then, where can one find a good AMD based notebook? (IPS non glare, good keyboard layout and keys, maybe kbd backlight, lots of interfaces, at least a little ruggedized aaaaand... exchangeable batteries! There is a row a devices which look nice at first glance but then you somewhere spot this total no-go line "battery built in / can't be changed". Aaaargh!)
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        But then, where can one find a good AMD based notebook? (IPS non glare, good keyboard layout and keys, maybe kbd backlight, lots of interfaces, at least a little ruggedized aaaaand... exchangeable batteries! There is a row a devices which look nice at first glance but then you somewhere spot this total no-go line "battery built in / can't be changed". Aaaargh!)
        Challenge: Find an AMD notebook with HiDPI, i.e. better than FHD.

Haven't checked very recently, but 1-2 month ago there wasn't a single one to my knowledge.
        Without coming up with conspiracy theories - that looks very suspicious to me.

Well, APU notebooks are typically low to mid end machines - sure.
        Yet, there is no reason why I shouldn't get at least a 1440p option.

Working with many IDEs, FHD just doesn't cut it for me.

I was happy to hear Lenovo now also features Ryzen APUs in the T-series.
        Guess what, even them only offering up to FHD displays.
        The intel T-series is, ofc, available with HiDPI display options.

Comment

Recently got a Probook 445 G6 and I think it's pretty decent. The screen is meh, but still better than my previous "large" laptop (ASUS A52JB) and much more powerful than both of my previous laptops (the ASUS and an Acer R11). I think that for the price it is a decent machine. Even turns off the fan at idle (on Windows at least, haven't tried Linux yet as this is my only school laptop and we currently basically require Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            But then, where can one find a good AMD based notebook?
            Next year supposedly, with the Renoir APU, we have the Surface Laptop this year, but it has it shares of issues, at the least Microsoft said that their partnership with AMD is a multiyear project, so they probably will update the hardware with Renoir

Comment

Probably the best AMD based notebook right now is the Thinkpad T495. There are another couple models Lenovo released this year with AMD APU's too.

And remember: hardware purchase is about compromise. If you build a list of requirements too long, you end up cornering yourself in a position where there is nothing satisfactory, so you end up on a random forum on the internet complaining about not finding a halo laptop that doesn't exist.

Comment

When i got my Ryzen RavenRidge based laptop the bios (UEFI) wasn't the best for linux users and most laptops had bios that needed overrides to boot but it's all sorted out now.
                I hope Renior won't have the same bios problems but i do think it will be better.
                I also hope that Renior based laptopst supports faster memory than the 2400MHz max of RR.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Challenge: Find an AMD notebook with HiDPI, i.e. better than FHD.
                  While I agree that AMD is still only installed in second-tier laptops, I don't think you can really use a higher-than-FHD screen on a 17 or even 15 inch monitor with normal eyesight. Everything is just too small.

Everyone that I've seen using higher-res displays of that size for productivity were using glasses (for pre-existing eyesight conditions).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    While I agree that AMD is still only installed in second-tier laptops, I don't think you can really use a higher-than-FHD screen on a 17 or even 15 inch monitor with normal eyesight. Everything is just too small.

Everyone that I've seen using higher-res displays of that size for productivity were using glasses (for pre-existing eyesight conditions).
                    Sorry, I have to disagree from my personal experience.

2880x1620 on 15,6" (Thinkpad T540p) is really enhancing my productivity while coding.
                    Another notebook, DELL 15" FHD, is just a pain.

And I'm talking about options.
                    Why are not at least some manufacturers offering a high-res option?

Comment

Working...
                    X