X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haxk20 View Post

It is automatic.
    You're talking about the regression that was fixed here?:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

5.5 seems like will be a great kernel for laptops and even better if you have dGPU as it can be finally powered off when not used. Amazing.
      in 5.4 I get no output in sensors for the dGPU, in 5.5 I get these reports and the reports tells me that the dGPU is powered on having a power usage of 7 W... the power usage of the laptop is a litlle bit up, but I think a dGPU is never totallly powered off... at least yet in linux, in windows I think they have this feature, but here.. we are having problems with the battery conmsumption.

Comment

It is automatic.
        for me it is not true

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

for me it is not true
          I just looked and indeed i still see power usage on 5.5. Will create a bug report and we can get this fixed.

Comment

I just looked and indeed i still see power usage on 5.5. Will create a bug report and we can get this fixed.
            I ll explain myself, my laptop with 5.2 5.3 5.4 has 0,5-1 W lower power usage than in linux 5.5 but when I launched in these kernels the command sensors the output for the dGPU was: N/A in all the sensors when there wasn't any app running with the dGPU. in 5.5 there was a change, the dGPU told me in every moment that it was consuming 7 W, no need to be running any app. But in that kernel the difference of consumption was very little, dGPU is not the cause, I think the dGPU is never powered off.

PD: the ati developpper of this forum told that at least for 5.6 there won't be the possibility of totally power off the dGPU in Linux.
            Source:
            I see Wattman and Corectl but I don't want to have to run an app to force the GPU (RX580) into powersaving mode. Is there a simple switch to force minimal power state?

Comment

Working...
            X