Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Driver Bringing BACO Support To Older Sea Islands / Volcanic Islands GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Driver Bringing BACO Support To Older Sea Islands / Volcanic Islands GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Linux Driver Bringing BACO Support To Older Sea Islands / Volcanic Islands GPUs

It's fairly rare these days seeing big patch sets out of AMD focused on improving the open-source Linux driver support for the likes of aging GPUs such as the Sea Islands and Volcanic Islands generations, but this Friday there is some notable development activity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dammit if I'm not craving TACOs now. Ohhh....Bacon Taco. BACO.

Thanks for inspiring my breakfast AMD and Phoronix.

Comment

This will really help battery time on my laptop since i have polaris dGPU in here and its always on running at lowest clocks. If the chip can power off then it will be amazing.

Comment

Really wish it wasn't so rare... But AMD is a corporation and they have a bottom line to think about. No corporation is ever truly a "friend". Interests just happen to coincide with your own for a while.

It's good news for those with that generation of card, which is no doubt still quite viable for many tasks. I myself have an even older HD 4830 in my Sandy Bridge box because it's still better than the awful IGP (kinda sad ain't it?). Would be nice to have those generations of cards (HD 4xxx - HD 9xxx) cards to get more loves.

Comment

This actually is for power savings. See my follow up patch series:

Comment

When is GPU reset coming to Navi?

Comment

Which if any apus will be affected by these? Does this go back as far back as kabini temash and kaveri? Or is this only for GPU cards?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Which if any apus will be affected by these? Does this go back as far back as kabini temash and kaveri? Or is this only for GPU cards?
                Only dGPUs. APUs don't support BACO. APUs generally have more aggressive power gating features so different blocks on the GPU are powergated dynamically to save power rather than powering off the entire GPU as is done with BACO.

Comment

Oh cool. Wasn't expecting this, but it's a welcome change.

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  It's good news for those with that generation of card, which is no doubt still quite viable for many tasks. I myself have an even older HD 4830 in my Sandy Bridge box because it's still better than the awful IGP (kinda sad ain't it?). Would be nice to have those generations of cards (HD 4xxx - HD 9xxx) cards to get more loves.
                  Your GPU came before AMD gave Linux any real attention. They still have a long way to go with GCN, let alone RDNA. It's not realistic or fair to expect them to cater to a GPU that's over a decade old.
                  I figure once the modern drivers are fully up to the OpenGL and Vulkan spec, there's a lot less they'll be distracted by, at which point who knows, maybe they will have the time to focus on r600.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    This actually is for power savings. See my follow up patch series:
                    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/041123.html
                    Cool! Hopefully it doesn't break the driver for Hawaii again, and hopefully it won't be left in an unusable state for months.

Comment

Working...
                    X