Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Submits LRU Bulk Moves Support As A Linux 5.4 "Fix" For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Submits LRU Bulk Moves Support As A Linux 5.4 "Fix" For Better Performance

Phoronix: AMDGPU Submits LRU Bulk Moves Support As A Linux 5.4 "Fix" For Better Performance

While initially queued as a work-in-progress feature for Linux 5.5, AMD has now submitted a batch of "fixes" to the current Linux 5.4 cycle that include enabling of the LRU bulk moves performance-boosting functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All of that does not patch cleanly into 5.2 even after removing all non-existent Navi specific stuff

I figure that y'all figure that I'd try that

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      All of that does not patch cleanly into 5.2 even after removing all non-existent Navi specific stuff

I figure that y'all figure that I'd try that
      What? It's a huge patchset, so don't expect it to work.

I remember that during a time back in 2017 when I had to use AMDGPU-PRO to run my Vega card I used the DKMS module that came bundled with it, and it worked well for around a year.

Comment

The reason i see for porting it to Linux 5.4 is that 5.4 will be an longterm supported kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What? It's a huge patchset, so don't expect it to work.

I remember that during a time back in 2017 when I had to use AMDGPU-PRO to run my Vega card I used the DKMS module that came bundled with it, and it worked well for around a year.
          Neither did I. Granted that all I did was a squash to patch and ran with it.

Comment

Looking at the never decreasing list of stability issues reported in the tracker I wonder how all those performance tweaks are supposed to be relevant at this time. In the part of the IT industry I am working in, no customer would accept anything nearly as unstable as the amdgpu driver, and at its current state, every man-hour invested would be on fixing it, rather than performance optimizations.

Comment

5700XT, 5.4-r1

Xort starts
              Games start. work fine in non fullscreen mode.

Those fullscreen eith runtime hang and hang Xorg with it. Or hang on exit and hang Xorg with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                Looking at the never decreasing list of stability issues reported in the tracker I wonder how all those performance tweaks are supposed to be relevant at this time. In the part of the IT industry I am working in, no customer would accept anything nearly as unstable as the amdgpu driver, and at its current state, every man-hour invested would be on fixing it, rather than performance optimizations.
                This. Stability is paramount, but apparently open-source developers don't think so.

(Even stable versions aren't that stable)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This. Stability is paramount, but apparently open-source developers don't think so.

(Even stable versions aren't that stable)
                  Since I was directly affected, I can also report, bug fixed. i don't have this issue no more. Patch will go upstream shortly.

Comment

For whats it worth: I have only had performance and features increases with the amdgpu driver. Latest DC patches boosted my battery life by another 2 hours on a Vega 8 APU. I cant say I am having troubles on Raven Ridge and Vega.
                    Of course navi is a different story.

Comment

Working...
                    X