No announcement yet.

Unofficial Radeon ROCm Packages Re-Enable APU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For APU the OpenCL part of rocm is working with official repo.
    only the compute part as been deactivate.

Comment

The Swedish company that used to use AMD tech from game console hardware to develop a small heterogeneous supercomputer for satellites.
      They have collaborated with AMD so i wouldn't be surprised if they have access to unreleased code from AMD.
      Tyvärr hittar vi inte sidan som du letar efter. Det kan bero på att länken du följde inte var korrekt eller att sidan har flyttats. Vi ber om ursäkt för det.

Comment

Originally posted by Djip007 View Post
        For APU the OpenCL part of rocm is working with official repo.
        only the compute part as been deactivate.
        Does this mean it is useless?
        99.9% of OpenCL is compute.

Comment

Originally posted by Madgemade View Post
          If this was GPL, they'd be in breech. Luckily for them it's not.
          We could not get the patch even if this software were using the GPL. AMD holds copyright on it, so only AMD can do license enforcement. They credited AMD with helping them, so I would not be surprised if there were some sort of NDA between them and AMD keeping them from releasing it. If that is correct, then even if the GPL were used, there would be no chance of getting the patch released.

That said, if this worked in the past and the sources are available, you could diff to try to find out what is needed to enable it. It might be that they disabled it because of bugs that required additional work to fix, but without either AMD or Bruhnpace AB talking, there is no way to know other than to try it and see what goes wrong. :/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Does this mean it is useless?
            99.9% of OpenCL is compute.
            Nop... I am simply not clear. may be AMD word is best:
            • AMD "Carrizo" and "Bristol Ridge" APUs are enabled to run OpenCL, but do not yet support HCC, HIP, or our libraries built on top of these compilers and runtimes.
            • AMD "Raven Ridge" APUs are enabled to run OpenCL, but do not yet support HCC, HIP, or our libraries built on top of these compilers and runtimes.
            Next: Tensorflow don't work with OpenCL, only CUDA. AMD make it work using HIP/HCC... So not working with APU. Thas what I wrongly call "compute".

I hop we can use API with GCC-10 offloading

Comment

AMd is doing a strange game here..
              I hope it wont backfire..

there are lots of APUs unsupported, even some HSAIL1.0 compliant( older ones ), plus all new ones..
              I hope the HSAIL boat is still afloat..

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                We could not get the patch even if this software were using the GPL. AMD holds copyright on it, so only AMD can do license enforcement.
                Well, it depends,
                if AMD released the code, and in the mix were GPL code, AMD has to release not only a part, but all of it, if not is License Infringement..
                If AMd has patches that never went in the mix with GPL, then AMD can do with them whatever they wan to..

But they will be useless, because when AMd patch GPL code with them, will be forced to release them anyway..
                So the patch's are useless, because they cannot be used, unless in a proprietary piece of code..
                Last edited by tuxd3v; 01 October 2019, 10:47 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  AMd is doing a strange game here..
                  I hope it wont backfire..
                  It's only time and priorities (limited resources), I think we all will get the support only not now.

Comment

I've been running Einstein @ Home and Seti @ Home ( GPU tasks ) on a Ryzen 2700 APU for 6 months or so. I assume these are OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                      I've been running Einstein @ Home and Seti @ Home ( GPU tasks ) on a Ryzen 2700 APU for 6 months or so. I assume these are OpenCL.
                      Yes they are.

p.s. Why did they disable it in the first place? APUs were touted back in the day for their HSA features which were much superior to OpenCL alone. Now they remove/disable the support? I didn't hear of this previously. Was it temporary? Was it not working well?

Comment

Working...
                      X