No announcement yet.

Back in the market.. GeForce or Radeon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the market.. GeForce or Radeon?

Hi. My system (phenom II x4 975) has been riding on a backup GPU (nvidia 9800gt) for a couple years now. I had a gtx460 for years. When it died, the 1030, 1050 etc had not come out yet. Although I have since considered getting one of those, I'm wondering about the current state of Radeon in Linux. I haven't tried an ATI/AMD GPU in many years. The last one I bought was AGP! (so it's been a while haha)

Moderate 'gaming' capability is not a huge deal for me these days.. (though not completely off my radar) I'm mostly worried about having screen tearing / vsync problems that can't be remedied. I remember struggling to mitigate it with Radeon in the past.

Likely anything you can tell me would be helpful. I am guessing I will probably end up going with the geforce 1050 (MAYBE the 1030), but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking AMD if they should happen to be providing good enough Linux support today.

Suffice to say I'm a bit out of the loop on this subject.

Thanks

At that price point you're probably looking at an RX 580. That's a polaris card, which is very well supported and stable nowadays. Distro's also have a recent enough mesa for it to be fully usable out of the box.

For AMD I would say that cards released in the last year might get you in trouble if you don't like debugging and/or using kernel/mesa builds from git. But for anything a bit older, you'll get very stable cards.

I have a 480, also polaris, that's been going strong for years with three monitors with no issue at all.

Comment

Thanks very much. Your tip gave me the necessary info to get my comparisons back on the track.

Comment

Working...
      X