Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 2.8 Released But Still Without Navi Support

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 2.8 Released But Still Without Navi Support

AMD released Radeon Open Compute 2.8 (ROCm 2.8) for ending out September. But to some surprise and sadness, this open-source Radeon GPU compute stack still isn't supporting the Navi GPUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...m-2.8-Released

Folks, you can still get GCN-based Radeon VII on AMD's website.

https://www.amd.com/en/shop/us/Graphics%20Cards

It could be your last chance at a GPU with decent fp64 for < $multi-k price points. I got mine.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Folks, you can still get GCN-based Radeon VII on AMD's website.

https://www.amd.com/en/shop/us/Graphics%20Cards

It could be your last chance at a GPU with decent fp64 for < $multi-k price points. I got mine.
      They're nice, but it's just a shame that the fan controller is super aggressive on those. I want my PC to be as silent as possible, and with that in mind, the Radeon VII is a no-go.

Comment

Is someone using this rocm OpenCL? Blender and Tensorflow are slower than the cpu ( I have a Vega64).

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          They're nice, but it's just a shame that the fan controller is super aggressive on those. I want my PC to be as silent as possible, and with that in mind, the Radeon VII is a no-go.
          I have yet to explore that. I was certainly hoping to reduce some combination of frequency and voltage to keep it better-mannered.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
            Is someone using this rocm OpenCL? Blender and Tensorflow are slower than the cpu ( I have a Vega64).
            The state of OpenCL on Linux has always been poor. I really want to try ROCm, but I'm on am RX580 on a PCIe 2.0 board, which isn't compatible. Now I have a new Ryzen board though I should be able to get it working. How painful though, technologies like OpenCL are only useful if they are ubiquitous. We are all seriously missing out on how the software world could be if it were ubiquitous. So now further narrowing down the hardware selections which support ROCm, we need to avoid newer graphics cards. Shame.

I've no idea what's cramping your Blender and TensorFlow runs. Which OS are you on? What does clinfo tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by gremble View Post

The state of OpenCL on Linux has always been poor.
              OpenCL has been a disaster everywhere, Linux is just even worse than other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

OpenCL has been a disaster everywhere, Linux is just even worse than other platforms.
                Awww thanks, sometimes it's good just to know we aren't entirely alone you know?

Comment

Working...
                X