Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Changes Being Prepped With HDCP Support, LRU Bulk Moves Re-Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Yes, DRM and HDCP support is requirement for HD on Netflix, but it is only part of the story. At least Netflix has some weird deals with Intel/Microsoft and HD streaming is only allowed on Internet Explorer Edge or Win10Metro Netflix application. Officially Firefox and Chrome could play 720p max (even on Windows with full HDCP support).

There is addon (https://github.com/vladikoff/netflix-1080p-firefox) that unlock 1080p, but unfortunately it has been removed from Firefox addons.mozilla.org. Now you need add/enable it manually (and if you have old version of this addon - it could block Netflix from working even in SD quality).

Another option is use Kodi (https://flathub.org/apps/details/tv.kodi.Kodi) with Netflix plugin (https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix) - it supports HD plus surround sound. But without HDCP support in Linux - many movies will be in SD. At least most Netflix series (like Stranger Things, Dark, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, etc.) do not require HDCP so 1080p is working on Linux.
    yeah i know about that addon - at least for netflix-shows it worked quite a while - but stopped working again, this time it seems for good...

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

Before doing all this kind of stuff, maybe we should wait for Firefox to let play Netflix... personally I have to use Chrome because there Firefox can't...
      Distribution? Plugins used?

Firefox plays Netflix just fine for me with 1080p as well as Prime and Hulu. CBS No-Access, OTHO, requires me to disable 3/4ths of my plugins to work.

Version: 6.0015.328.011
      Esn: NFCDCH-LX-FJZPD192Y1C9UKXJV381P73P6GYE0G
      PBCID: 6.5fhhgyHEk0z4pI8RfMHpR0Tre0lJWAe-gJ7jgbb07h4
      UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0

MovieId: 81074113
      TrackingId: 250019871
      Xid: 15694387359843 (15694387359843)
      Position: 5.987
      Duration: 3508.000
      Volume: 100%

Player state: Normal
      Buffering state: Normal
      Rendering state: Playing

Playing bitrate (a/v): 96 / 807 (1920x1080)
      Playing/Buffering vmaf: 90/90
      Buffering bitrate (a/v): 96 / 807
      Buffer size in Bytes (a/v): 2970168 / 31278808
      Buffer size in Bytes: 34248976
      Buffer size in Seconds (a/v): 234.269 / 240.133
      EDIT: And I'm not using a 1080p plugin....though the one that shows up in the Firefox extensions was updated on the 19th and does work.

EDIT2: You can get that info with "ctrl+alt+shift+d"
      Last edited by skeevy420; 25 September 2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Distribution? Plugins used?
        Tested with Fedora 30 and CentOS 8.
        No plugins used.

When I try to start a video, I get a Netflix error code. When I google it, it says to add the "allow content DRM" in th eoption, which is obviously already selected... So no solution instead of Chrome.

Comment

No plugins used.

When I try to start a video, I get a Netflix error code. When I google it, it says to add the "allow content DRM" in th eoption, which is obviously already selected... So no solution instead of Chrome.
          I'm on Manjaro with Linux 5.2, but I've been using Firefox with Netflix for over six years and two GPUs with Arch, Manjaro, and Suse so I doubt that it's the kernel version. I reckon you need some better codecs from RPMFusion...but Fedora/Red Hat isn't my area of expertise so that's just a guess.

You using HDMI or something else? My 580's using HDMI to a 1080p TV; my old 260x worked with HDMI for the past six years up until February. I don't have any other monitor or cables to test otherwise.

Comment

No plugins used.

Hmmm... Probably something wrong with your Firefox profile. I'm using Fedora and installing Widevine DRM via Firefox options is working OK.

Maybe try with fresh Firefox profile. After enable DRM support in Firefox options you need to wait minute or two for installation - it is not working instantly (unfortunately no progress bar or something). After successful installation - it will be visible in about:addons -> Plugins tab as Widevine Content Decryption Module in "Enable" state.

Comment

So, the best way to play DRMed content on Linux is to… download it illegally!
              That is just stupid. "Content protection", what protection? Those contents are all around the web! Free and with no DRM!
              DRM do not stop illegal diffusion, they just stop people from playing it legally on non-proprietary systems!

Comment

All this shit makes be glad I banned paid content from all my devices well over a decade ago. My box is deliberately set up so you not only can't play Netflix (but a pirated H264 file would work perfectly) but so you cannot access Facebook or Google. That is so their trackers cannot access me. Netflix probably tracks everything you do just like "smart" TV's do. Only sane way to use one of those "smart" TVs is to opt out of everything at setup, then use it only with over-the-air broadcast and a computer to feed any online content to it, denying it any access to the network itself-in other words, to use it as an RF tuner and dumb monitor only.

Why would anyone pay for DRM'd content when the exact same content is available free in defiance of laws made by and for the rich, pre-stripped of DRM and ready to go? The filesharing lawsuits were abandoned after tens of millions responded by ending their purchases of DVD's and CD's, and law enforcement ignores it entirely. European ISP restrictions are about to choke out on DNS over HTTPS, and Tor exit nodes groan under the weight of massive movie filesharing. No, it's not 4K (downloading that over Tor might take a fucking month) but its free with no DRM.

I don't published my (free and not ad supported) news videos in 1080p much less 4K because many viewers don't have the bandwidth for it.

Comment

Doesn't AMD have better stuff to work on besided DRM crap?
                  There are still 1000 things to improve on Linux, where the fuck is that control panel that never comes ?
                  I don't like this "let's help the greedy companies to get more rich".
                  And I don't like at all that I need to pay myself extra energy costs for wasted processing cycles on DRM encryption / decription stuff.
                  Greed is a disease and will make everything rot.

Comment

FYI Asciidisco's Netflix addon for Kodi has been abandoned. The latest and greatest is available at https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix

Comment

Can we finally hope for a fix for the Radeon VII multi display crash bug that makes the GPU pretty much unusable on any serious workstation setup?

Comment

Working...
                      X