Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Driver Looking To Re-Enable Performance-Boosting "Bulk Moves" Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nuetzel
    replied
    On top of current 'amd-staging-drm-next' (sadly it's still on 5.2.0-rc1 'cause Alex was on travel) I see good results for 'vkmark' (radv) and 'glmark2'.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by bosjc View Post

I thought the temp patch for Zen 2 was in 5.3?
    Not that I know. Did you see them?

Leave a comment:

• bosjc
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I'd also add k10temp patches for Zen 2 to the above. They missed 5.3 but work nicely for Ryzen 3000 series with it.
    I thought the temp patch for Zen 2 was in 5.3?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Just for the reference, I don't see any change for example in The Witcher 3 in Wine+dxvk when bulk moves are enabled.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I've recently mentioned some here: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/issues/298
    Thanks a lot for sharing those, I was able to apply the two amd patches =)

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I've taken kilobyte's work on Zstd compressing the kernel image and patched it up and, since I've posted that, I've tested them with whatever the releases of 4.19, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 were out last Sunday if you want to add another patch to your list.
    Nice! Thanks for doing that. I'm up and running.

-rw------- 1 root root 17353600 Sep 12 15:04 vmlinuz-5.3.0-050300rc8+custom-generic
    -rw------- 1 root root 11545472 Sep 12 15:39 vmlinuz-5.3.0-050300rc8+zstd-generic

Shaved off almost 6 MB from my previous kernel that used LZ4! Startup speed was identical to LZ4 as well, great call.

(fyi my kernel is a little large because I build in amdgpu which adds about 3.5 MB but kernel picks it up faster)

module:
    $ dmesg|grep amdgpu
    [ 2.671170] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

built-in:
    $ dmesg|grep amdgpu
    [ 0.424964] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

I don't know for _certain_ if it's any better as opposed to a module, but figured why not. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to chime in.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    And here I was waiting on Mesa 19.3 to finish before I stared compiling 5.2.14 and I find this thread so you know what patch I just added to it

perpetually high

I've taken kilobyte's work on Zstd compressing the kernel image and patched it up and, since I've posted that, I've tested them with whatever the releases of 4.19, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 were out last Sunday if you want to add another patch to your list.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

How are those fsync patches going? Was there any follow up after initial discussion in the kernel mail list?
    I actually noticed today there was a one-line update on their GitLab. Changed a value from 13 to 31. I just compiled it an hour ago or so and haven't had a chance to test.

But I gotta tell you, all of these things lately have had a synergistic effect. I'm talking Valve's ACO + Mesa 19.2 + fsync patches + Proton 4.11/DXVK + FreeSync/FreeSync LFC patches + 5.3 kernel, and now this bulk move patch. All my games are running great. Linux gaming is peaking right now, specifically on AMD cards.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Lots of good patches out right now to compile with the kernel (5.3-rc8 in particular):
    I'd also add k10temp patches for Zen 2 to the above. They missed 5.3 but work nicely for Ryzen 3000 series with it.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    How are those fsync patches going? Was there any follow up after initial discussion in the kernel mail list?

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Let me know if I missed any good ones.
    I've recently mentioned some here: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/issues/298

Leave a comment:

Working...
X