Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD "Trusted Memory Zone" Encrypted vRAM Support Coming To Their Linux GPU Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Seems AMD becomes more and more serious about fucking up those who buys their hardware for the real. They even managed to be creative enough to try that semi-opensource ways, whoa. Whole new level of treachery: "...but you have a choice: you can patch out our nasty shit away"? Oh, that's really new formula of evil
    This is software support of a hardware feature. You can always patch away software support of stuff that you don't want.

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Seems AMD becomes more and more serious about fucking up those who buys their hardware for the real. They even managed to be creative enough to try that semi-opensource ways, whoa. Whole new level of treachery: "...but you have a choice: you can patch out our nasty shit away"? Oh, that's really new formula of evil

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You didn't purchase a copy. You purchased the license to listen to it from the copy (or specific hardware storage medium aka cd/dvd/whatever).
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Once again, I repeat, I did not mean "it is mine". I only purchased it, so "a copy of it is mine".
    Exactly. And to add to that, that copy is for your personal listening only. Take that CD and use it on your little business with a public space (barber shop, dry cleaning, etc) and you will hear from (insert your country's music association) what they think about your definition of "mine".
    Last edited by M@GOid; 12 September 2019, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

Once again, I repeat, I did not mean "it is mine". I only purchased it, so "a copy of it is mine".
    You didn't purchase a copy. You purchased the license to listen to it from the copy (or specific hardware storage medium aka cd/dvd/whatever).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    I'm all for more encryption and don't see anything wrong with this, but it leaves me scratching my head. What use could this have? What are they trying to protect?
    it's used by applications that want to keep their vRAM secret or untouchable from other applications.

DRM is one potential application. GPU sharing between VMs is another big one. You don't want VMs to be able to snoop in another VM's stuff even if you are sharing the GPU (with the GPU virtualization hardware that exists in server cards)
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 September 2019, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    AndyChow - It's for DRM (Digital Restrictions Management). Your own data won't be protected, don't worry.
    That's probably one application. Other applications would be protecting an apps memory in the context of "cloud computing".

Leave a comment:

• madscientist159
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Is not yours, you merely licensed it.
    And I refuse to pay anything for such licenses, aside from maybe the $0.01 per view it's worth (for music, thankfully DRM-free CDs and public radio exist).

I'll pay significant cash for a true owned (in the sense a paper book is owned) movie or audio CD. I have a nice collection of audio CDs bought straight from retail because of this, but movies I only pay a small amount of pocket change for third hand copies of the DRM restricted media (and don't pay for streaming anything, period -- either that comes completely from the data analytics and ads that are collected anyway or I don't watch/listen.).

And yeah, this AMD "feature" is just another restriction in a long line of them. It's why I compute with POWER9, not Epyc, and why and am looking to replace my AMD GPUs with something less restricted as soon as I can.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Once again, I repeat, I did not mean "it is mine". I only purchased it, so "a copy of it is mine". (by this, I mean the ability to listen the copy)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 12 September 2019, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied

I wish DRM would die. I want to listen to my purchased music, not be filled with this crap.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Speaking of GEM, how is that project for a unified memory something that started because nvidia EGL Stream?
    I guess they stopped working on it because GNOME and KDE have EGLStreams support now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X