AMD Linux Improvements Pending Around FreeSync Low Frame Rate Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    HDMI is a living room interface for content consumption devices. Not the preferred connectivity for a desktop computer. I'm not aware of any Television sets that support Freesync, so not sure what you're doing with it, but this seems like a very niche use case.
    Most QLED Samsung televisions from 2018 and 2019 support Freesync. LG just added support for its OLED televisions of 2019 to support g-sync, and thus possibly indirectly freesync.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      Fucking 2019 and AMD doesn't have a goddamn control panel. Piss off, AMD!
      Intel doesn't have and the Nvidia control panel is a fucking joke. Fuck off they all!
      What for

also, only thing you need is driconf

Comment

Fucking 2019 and AMD doesn't have a goddamn control panel. Piss off, AMD!
        Intel doesn't have and the Nvidia control panel is a fucking joke. Fuck off they all!
        You're more than free to go and make your own. Most of AMDs stuff can be monitored and controlled from sysfs.

Not to mention this:
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        What for

Comment

What for

I like adriconf myself.

While I agree with both that and jrdoane's sysfs comment as a long time Linux user, I don't think that either either are acceptable solutions in 2019 for new Linux users and AMD should provide some sort of control panel on Linux.

driconf doesn't have the greatest interface and sudo/su terminal commands to control hardware can be sketchy for technical users and should be considered unsafe AF to a newb from Windows who might have only copy/pasted one command line ever in their life.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            driconf doesn't have the greatest interface and sudo/su terminal commands to control hardware can be sketchy for technical users and should be considered unsafe AF to a newb from Windows who might have only copy/pasted one command line ever in their life.
            I repeat: what. For.

If you want to overclock and RGB and frag noobs you are not on the right OS. Flashy GUIs for garden variety "overclockers" are quite frankly unnecessary bullshit and I don't see why we should even ask for it on Linux.

If you know enough of the system and actually want to do stuff like downvolting and such, then having to use commandline or a ugly but functional GUI tool is not an issue.

Comment

I repeat: what. For.

If you want to overclock and RGB and frag noobs you are not on the right OS. Flashy GUIs for garden variety "overclockers" are quite frankly unnecessary bullshit and I don't see why we should even ask for it on Linux.

If you know enough of the system and actually want to do stuff like downvolting and such, then having to use commandline or a ugly but functional GUI tool is not an issue.
              I never mentioned anything about overclocking. While that's something a GUI would likely have to do to be feature-complete with what Windows offers, just having a simple-to-use interface to edit or set various environment variables, to set fan and temperature threshold settings, and some help when hovering the mouse over the options would be better than the current sysfs interface with Google for help and assistance.

Regardless of the company or product, Googling for help to figure out a command line interface should not be considered to be an acceptable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
                Most QLED Samsung televisions from 2018 and 2019 support Freesync. LG just added support for its OLED televisions of 2019 to support g-sync, and thus possibly indirectly freesync.
                Interesting, didn't realize this was a thing. I guess it's pretty new then.

Comment

2019 and AMD doesn't have a control panel. Piss off, AMD!
                  Intel doesn't have and the Nvidia control panel is a joke. Screw off they all!
                  I agree, except there are too much insults here...

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

You're more than free to go and make your own. Most of AMDs stuff can be monitored and controlled from sysfs.

Not to mention this:
                    Windows: People configure their cards using a beautifully crafted UI by AMD.

Linux: Ehhh, we use sysfs blah blah blah

Average Joe will never want to open a freaking console just to set some variable!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I never mentioned anything about overclocking. While that's something a GUI would likely have to do to be feature-complete with what Windows offers, just having a simple-to-use interface to edit or set various environment variables, to set fan and temperature threshold settings, and some help when hovering the mouse over the options would be better than the current sysfs interface with Google for help and assistance.

Regardless of the company or product, Googling for help to figure out a command line interface should not be considered to be an acceptable solution.
                      I agree. I wish there were more GUI-based configuration tools on Linux...

I wish openSUSE was more popular than Ubuntu.... They have YaST, which is proof it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X