AMD Linux Improvements Pending Around FreeSync Low Frame Rate Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    It is ubiquitous in the PC monitor space and a lot of the cheaper FreeSync monitors do only have HDMI connectivity.
    those monitors probably have cheap freesync as well. computer connector is displayport, hdmi is for consumer electronics. they are designed by different entities for different purposes

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      Fucking 2019 and AMD doesn't have a goddamn control panel
      only windows hardware comes with panels and similar shitware. ask your distro why it doesn't have hardware-independent panel to suit you

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        those monitors probably have cheap freesync as well. computer connector is displayport, hdmi is for consumer electronics. they are designed by different entities for different purposes
        You are right on the different members in the standardization bodies, but the HDMI connector is used even more widely as DP in the monitor space according to the numbers of this german price listing site: https://geizhals.de/?cat=monlcd19wide (just look at the stats for "Grafikanschlüsse" = display connectivity = 1576 for HDMI vs. 1269 with DisplayPort).

Are these facts enough to persuade you?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          Are these facts enough to persuade you?
          no
          we are not discussing what is produced in larger quantities

Comment

no
            we are not discussing what is produced in larger quantities
            Why not? I prefer HDMI because everything I own uses it. All my monitors are HDMI with one DVI-D buried in a closet somewhere.

A lot of people play their video games, console/computer, on a large screen television and new televisions are starting to support all the same stuff that PC monitors are known for supporting. It's just retarded for AMD to not extend VRR support to HDMI because HDMI VRR TVs are becoming more and more a thing everyday.

Not to mention that when one goes to buy a GPU, it doesn't say Freesync for DisplayPort only, it says Radeon™ FreeSync Technology with no asterisk that lists the limitations. One would assume, based on what is on the amd.com product feature-lists state, that Freesync would work with the stuff I just copy/pasted from my 580s spec page:

Supported Rendering Format:
            HDMI™ 4K Support
            Yes

4K H264 Decode
            Yes

4K H264 Encode
            Yes

H265/HEVC Decode
            Yes

H265/HEVC Encode
            Yes

Connectivity: DisplayPort
            1.4 HDR

Dual Link DVI
            No

HDMI™
            4K60 Support

VGA
            No

bridgman I though they were gonna do something about that. I need a job if y'all need someone who can do competent technical write-ups

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Why not? I prefer HDMI because everything I own uses it.
              maybe you have everything which uses vga connector, is it a reason to prefer it?
              All my monitors are HDMI with one DVI-D buried in a closet somewhere.
              make better choices when you buy next ones

Comment

maybe you have everything which uses vga connector, is it a reason to prefer it?
                make better choices when you buy next ones
                Because DisplayPort was totally common on 48" TVs for $300 in 2016

Comment

Because DisplayPort was totally common on 48" TVs for $300 in 2016
                  it wasn't common on consumer electronics because it was not intended to be used there. if you are buying blueray player, it must have hdmi output. if you are buying videocard, it must have displayport output. it can have other outputs too (like s-video or now hdmi), but displayport is a must, it's the only contemporary computer video connector

Comment

Whoops....posted in the wrong thread due to a case of too many Phoronix tabs

Comment

Working...
                    X