• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Here is a list of dedicated chips that support AV1 decoding as of now:
    You forgot to mention Realtek RTD2893: https://www.realtek.com/en/press-roo...en-awards-copy

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The next-generation AMD "Renoir" APU is turning into being an interesting successor over the existing Picasso APUs.
    Just to be clear, Picasso is the Ryzen 3/5 3x00G series of APUs manufactured on 12 nm and based on Zen+, while Renoir is presumably a 7 nm APU based on Zen2?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

Which?

That have been released, I mean.
    LOL. I meant your reply was savage, and I appreciated the sarcasm in it.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Savage.
    Which?

That have been released, I mean.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

Savage.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Have you considered putting up a chart that lists all the AV1 supporting GPU's, APU's and cell phone chips.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    I'm trying to avoid any new hardware purchases until I know AV1 is supported for hardware decode. Hopefully what I have now will last long enough to be able to do that.

Michael:

Have you considered putting up a chart that lists all the AV1 supporting GPU's, APU's and cell phone chips. I suspect that this is important to people that invest in hardware for the long term. At this late point in time AV1 decode hardware would be mandatory for new builds in my mind.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    Well, now I'm even more confused than I normally am. I've been wanting to upgrade my Mini-ITX Athlon 5370 based home theater to a fully capable 4K system, but things are changing so quickly I'm continually getting lost. I especially want to make sure I can play UHD-BD and beyond, as well as stream all DRM protected content, but I refuse to cave to Intel/NVIDIA.

So does anyone know when, or if, such an AMD APU based system might be possible? It has to be an APU by the way because my home theater is a 24/7 system and uses enough power as it is.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Well, now I'm even more confused than I normally am. I've been wanting to upgrade my Mini-ITX Athlon 5370 based home theater to a fully capable 4K system, but things are changing so quickly I'm continually getting lost. I especially want to make sure I can play UHD-BD and beyond, as well as stream all DRM protected content, but I refuse to cave to Intel/NVIDIA.

So does anyone know when, or if, such an AMD APU based system might be possible? It has to be an APU by the way because my home theater is a 24/7 system and uses enough power as it is.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Is there any difference between VCN 2.x and VCN 1.0, especially regarding 4:4:4 encoding support? (NVIDIA does it, and Intel will when Ice Lake arrives)

AMD seems very secretive about its coding blocks.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Originally posted by mczak View Post
    I think that's pretty much as expected. In the past the APUs always featured the newest display and video blocks (sometimes newer than in any released product) whereas the 3d core related blocks lagged (albeit usually only by minor versions).
    should read:

I think that's pretty much as expected. In the past the APUs always featured the newest display and video blocks (sometimes newer than in any released discrete gpu product) whereas the 3d core related blocks lagged (albeit usually only by minor versions).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X