Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Savage.
    Which?

That have been released, I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Which?

That have been released, I mean.
      LOL. I meant your reply was savage, and I appreciated the sarcasm in it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The next-generation AMD "Renoir" APU is turning into being an interesting successor over the existing Picasso APUs.
        Just to be clear, Picasso is the Ryzen 3/5 3x00G series of APUs manufactured on 12 nm and based on Zen+, while Renoir is presumably a 7 nm APU based on Zen2?

Comment

Here is a list of dedicated chips that support AV1 decoding as of now:
          You forgot to mention Realtek RTD2893: https://www.realtek.com/en/press-roo...en-awards-copy

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            You forgot to mention Realtek RTD2893: https://www.realtek.com/en/press-roo...en-awards-copy
            Is that yet shipping in any product?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Is that yet shipping in any product?
              No, it was demonstrated at Computex only. Anandtech writes that it may take 1-2 years for consumer devices to reach the market. But the chip itself exists and can be ordered now I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                in my point of view the people want AV1 and Open-source firmware/microcode/bios

what we get is more x265 and more Closed source shit.
                You do realize that x265 is GPL'd software, do you not?

I would disagree that people want AV1, people want something that is compatible across a wide range of devices and uses, which is why MPEG-2 is still used in many places, and why H264 is still so popular.

HEVC is still a beast to work with, in terms of editing and hardware playback support is still not ubiquitous.

VP9 is completely open, with open source implementations and is very high quality, yet it hasn't taken over.

JPEG2000 came out in, wait for it, 2000, and it's still widely used as both an acquisition format, RED cameras capture in JPEG2000 natively and ProRes and DNxHD with third party add ons.
                Last edited by Spooktra; 10 September 2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                  IMO, it's obvious qarium meant H.265, which is patented.

I would disagree that people want AV1, people want something that is compatible across a wide range of devices and uses, which is why MPEG-2 is still used in many places, and why H264 is still so popular.
                  Well, perhaps AV1 was too ambitious, by targeting superior compression ratios and being royalty-free. Perhaps they thought their only chance of displacing H.264/H.265 was by leapfrogging it/them. Anytime a new compression standard comes out, it always takes a few years for hardware support to arrive - AV1 is no different.

HEVC is still a beast to work with, in terms of editing and hardware playback support is still not ubiquitous.
                  If the licensing terms had been better, I think we'd see more widespread support & usage, by now.

VP9 is completely open, with open source implementations and is very high quality, yet it hasn't taken over.
                  And so maybe the AV1 folks were right...

JPEG2000 came out in, wait for it, 2000, and it's still widely used as both an acquisition format, RED cameras capture in JPEG2000 natively and ProRes and DNxHD with third party add ons.
                  Because its patents (and any looming submarine patents) have expired, and it relies on 19ish-year-old tech. That's not so big an ask, on modern CPUs.

Comment

He probably means the patent-filled codec.

Really? People still use the ancient MPEG-2?

I agree. I feel it's mostly designed with hardware accelerators in mind, and some are inconsistent. I tried decoding HEVC video with my AMD card, and saw a few differences when compared to CPU decoding.

I use lots of VP9 in YouTube, especially on mobile.
                    Maybe it hasn't taken over due to its slower encoding?

JPEG2000 came out in, wait for
                    ​​​​​No, I'm not waiting. It's super obvious

RED cameras capture in JPEG2000 natively and ProRes and DNxHD with third party add ons.
                    Apparently professionals prefer proprietary formats... I don't see the reason though...

Comment

Really? People still use the ancient MPEG-2?
                      Yeah, this is somewhat dubious. I mean, if you're working with a legacy system, like ATSC, then it's the only option. Otherwise, there's no reason to prefer it over newer codecs.

I agree. I feel it's mostly designed with hardware accelerators in mind, and some are inconsistent. I tried decoding HEVC video with my AMD card, and saw a few differences when compared to CPU decoding.
                      That's weird, because the decoders are exactly standardized. Since H.264, the standards leave no ambiguity about exactly how a given bitstream should be decoded. The only thing I don't know is if H.265 specifies error recovery so rigorously.

Anyway, what happens if decoders are allowed to produce a different output is that the differences between the expected output & actual output will accumulate between decoder refreshes, leading to some sort of creeping picture corruption.

Apparently professionals prefer proprietary formats... I don't see the reason though...
                      JPEG2000 is an ISO standard, just like MPEG-4 - not proprietary. And they are open standards, meaning anyone can access the specification. However, open standard doesn't imply free-to-use.

Anyway, here's what wikipedia says about JPEG 2000:
                      JPEG 2000 is covered by patents, but the contributing companies and organizations agreed that licenses for its first part—the core coding system—can be obtained free of charge from all contributors.

However, the JPEG committee has acknowledged that undeclared submarine patents may still present a hazard
                      More, at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000#Legal_status

Comment

Working...
                      X