Vega-Based Renoir APU Has The Same VCN Video Encode/Decode Block As Navi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega-Based Renoir APU Has The Same VCN Video Encode/Decode Block As Navi

Phoronix: Vega-Based Renoir APU Has The Same VCN Video Encode/Decode Block As Navi

The next-generation AMD "Renoir" APU is turning into being an interesting successor over the existing Picasso APUs. While at first it was a letdown finding out that the APU is based on Vega and not their newer Navi architecture, follow-on open-source Linux patches have continued to show that it's more than a facsimile and in some areas like display and multimedia has blocks in common with Navi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think this being something of a hodgepodge between Vega and Navi is all that surprising considering AMD has officially come out that the Navi 10 parts that have come out so far aren't full on RDNA parts and that they're instead going to be introducing the new architecture piecemeal. Before that the APUs used in the XB1X and PS4 Pro were also something of a hodgepodge between Polaris and Vega not to mention the MCM GPU with Intel that also contained some Vega IP blocks related to memory.

As for why they're mixing and matching like this the official reason is to my understanding that they're easing developers into the new architecture. However my personal gut feeling is that it's because all of the new RDNA IP blocks aren't done yet and they don't want to be stuck on the old ones until they're all done.

Comment

I think that's pretty much as expected. In the past the APUs always featured the newest display and video blocks (sometimes newer than in any released product) whereas the 3d core related blocks lagged (albeit usually only by minor versions).

Comment

Originally posted by mczak View Post
        I think that's pretty much as expected. In the past the APUs always featured the newest display and video blocks (sometimes newer than in any released product) whereas the 3d core related blocks lagged (albeit usually only by minor versions).
        Just about to say the same thing - even pre-APU, the integrated graphics on motherboards usually had the latest video decode blocks

Comment

Originally posted by mczak View Post
          should read:

I think that's pretty much as expected. In the past the APUs always featured the newest display and video blocks (sometimes newer than in any released discrete gpu product) whereas the 3d core related blocks lagged (albeit usually only by minor versions).

Comment

Is there any difference between VCN 2.x and VCN 1.0, especially regarding 4:4:4 encoding support? (NVIDIA does it, and Intel will when Ice Lake arrives)

AMD seems very secretive about its coding blocks.

Comment

Well, now I'm even more confused than I normally am. I've been wanting to upgrade my Mini-ITX Athlon 5370 based home theater to a fully capable 4K system, but things are changing so quickly I'm continually getting lost. I especially want to make sure I can play UHD-BD and beyond, as well as stream all DRM protected content, but I refuse to cave to Intel/NVIDIA.

So does anyone know when, or if, such an AMD APU based system might be possible? It has to be an APU by the way because my home theater is a 24/7 system and uses enough power as it is.

Comment

I'm trying to avoid any new hardware purchases until I know AV1 is supported for hardware decode. Hopefully what I have now will last long enough to be able to do that.

Michael:

Have you considered putting up a chart that lists all the AV1 supporting GPU's, APU's and cell phone chips. I suspect that this is important to people that invest in hardware for the long term. At this late point in time AV1 decode hardware would be mandatory for new builds in my mind.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                Well, now I'm even more confused than I normally am. I've been wanting to upgrade my Mini-ITX Athlon 5370 based home theater to a fully capable 4K system, but things are changing so quickly I'm continually getting lost. I especially want to make sure I can play UHD-BD and beyond, as well as stream all DRM protected content, but I refuse to cave to Intel/NVIDIA.

So does anyone know when, or if, such an AMD APU based system might be possible? It has to be an APU by the way because my home theater is a 24/7 system and uses enough power as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Have you considered putting up a chart that lists all the AV1 supporting GPU's, APU's and cell phone chips.
                  Here is a list of dedicated chips that support AV1 decoding as of now:

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Here is a list of dedicated chips that support AV1 decoding as of now:
                    Savage.

Comment

Working...
                    X