Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Nobody cares about Vega
    vega has large enterprise customer (stadia), i wonder whether they use tweaked driver/firmware/hardware

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      a simple test use case
      makes good bugreport

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The Polaris to Vega SW/FW-visible changes were much (much much much...) more significant than the Fiji to Polaris changes... maybe 5x or more.
        is vega a step towards navi, or is it suffering fate of cayman(one of a kind), which also was relatively low-volume?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          apply to driver developers too - they have to suffer many lockups during new hardware bringup
          you mean novideo is no longer main source of bsods? wow such a great vendor.
          i take it back, quick search shows https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...bsods.3344146/
          Same reason KDE users have historically seen GNOME as a crashy mess and vice-versa. Different demographics exercise different code paths.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            is vega a step towards navi, or is it suffering fate of cayman(one of a kind), which also was relatively low-volume?
            All the new HW in Vega was carried forward to Navi other than the graphics core itself. The main change for Navi was the GFX10/RDNA graphics core.

Just to confuse things re: volumes I should mention that Cayman graphics were used in Trinity and Richland, while Vega graphics are used in Raven Ridge, Picasso and Renoir.

If you follow market share numbers I believe that a fair amount of the recent market share growth was from APUs, and hence from Vega graphics:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...ort,40266.html
            Last edited by bridgman; 06 September 2019, 11:04 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

False. I still use an HDD and boot takes like 1 minute.
              But at what cost? You can get like a 30 or 60 gb ssd for a few dollars at this point....

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

But at what cost? You can get like a 30 or 60 gb ssd for a few dollars at this point....
                What about VAT and import fees? And SSD reliability?

I personally hate TLC (or higher) drives (so-called "cheap" SSD's) due to greatly lowered reliability and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I For up to 1080p on Linux, the 580 is one of the best GPUs to have.
                  Asus Arez top RX580 8GB works with 4K gaming very well. Many graphics effects slows down performance so you disable them anyway.

Comment

What about VAT and import fees? And SSD reliability?
                    Nvme drives are super fast compared to mechanical drives and cheap too. I did pay 68.10 Euros (including 24% VAT) for an INTEL 660P SERIES - 512GB - M.2 NVMe SSD. The warranty is 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by debiangamer View Post

Nvme drives are super fast compared to mechanical drives and cheap too. I did pay 68.10 Euros (including 24% VAT) for an INTEL 660P SERIES - 512GB - M.2 NVMe SSD. The warranty is 5 years.
                      Did you read the rest of my post?
                      I do not want a TLC, QLC or higher-density SSD.
                      These tend to have a lower lifetime.

Furthermore, warranty is often heavily nerfed in my country. As a few examples:
                      - A hard drive I bought last year only had 1 year warranty.
                      - A Corsair keyboard I was about to buy only had 6 months warranty (!).

Comment

Working...
                      X