AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
    I had a similar issue. Make sure you have the recent firmware in /lib/firmware/amdgpu from here:
    can i ask you a favour, can you post output here 'md5sum /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_*' or at least confirm if your checksums are same as mine?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Having issues with black screen on my 5700. I really hope they fix it...

Moment amdgpu gets loaded = black screen. Until its loaded I have console only. Probably I can use VESA, but its not a solution, its getting autoloaded by distro.(hence I use older kernel version, where there is no AMDGPU for Navi)
      It's working on 5.3-rc6 and mesa 19.2/git + llvm9. Don't know the OS you are on, but for ubuntu derivatives this works:

Bash script for Ubuntu (and derivatives) to easily (un)install kernels from the Ubuntu Kernel PPA - pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Kernel+mesa+llvm. They have to be upgraded in tandem.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
        He is using Gentoo, trying to compile something... or Gentoo uses him that could be too

Maybe some permission issue or no awareness that he could run X as user as he is trying to run X as root since he had been using nvidia blobie before, so that idea might fail silently for whatever reason Yeah, he did cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        I am not defensive or anything, just so others know, I run X as both root and user from SSH.(problem is BEFORE xorg, its issue with specifically driver i am sure of it at this stage).

I run Xorg as user under Nvidia blob for years.
        Under SSH I can't execute xorg due to what appears to be permissions. Which is irrelevant, as root can run Xorg anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post

It's working on 5.3-rc6 and mesa 19.2/git + llvm9. Don't know the OS you are on, but for ubuntu derivatives this works:

Bash script for Ubuntu (and derivatives) to easily (un)install kernels from the Ubuntu Kernel PPA - pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Kernel+mesa+llvm. They have to be upgraded in tandem.
          I am making sure i have latest DRM, MESA, XORG and Kernel.
          kernel 5.3-r6, mesa is 9999(git), xorg x11-base/xorg-server - Latest version available: 1.20.5 Latest version installed: 1.20.5

i can probably get it git as well. no one asked just yet.

Comment

Got it to somewhat work.
            Xorg starts no problem. 2d/3d are now working. And boy they look sweet.
            console still is black, but have been given some things to try which i will do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
              The navi fixes should go into 5.3 - why is it ok to release 5.3 with buggy navi support?
              Am I wrong in that I read that AMDGPU will have the kernel support for ROCm upstreamed in 5.3? I'm on 5.3 experimental in Debian and all I test is broken broken broken when it comes to those Debian packages that should be compatible but clearly aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Got it to somewhat work.
                so what was the cause?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Am I wrong in that I read that AMDGPU will have the kernel support for ROCm upstreamed in 5.3? I'm on 5.3 experimental in Debian and all I test is broken broken broken when it comes to those Debian packages that should be compatible but clearly aren't.
                  I don't think we are expecting to have tested/working kernel support for ROCm upstream in 5.3. There is some code up there already but AFAIK it is still WIP.

Will try to confirm that when back in the office.

I don't remember reading/writing anything about being ready in 5.3, but there is so much gossip & rumor these days that it's tough to keep up.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    so what was the cause?
                    there were 2 problems. One remains.
                    1. (original. remains), console is pitch black right after AMDGPU drivers loads.
                    2. Xorg did not start. (that was fixed)

I had two versions of LLVM apparently. and I did not realise it. removing old one, broke something else on the system, but having Xorg is more important anyway. Which works now, but black console isuse remains.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't think we are expecting to have tested/working kernel support for ROCm upstream in 5.3. There is some code up there already but AFAIK it is still WIP.

Will try to confirm that when back in the office.

I don't remember reading/writing anything about being ready in 5.3, but there is so much gossip & rumor these days that it's tough to keep up.
                      Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                      X