AMD Prepping Their HDCP 1.4 Content Protection Support For Raven Ridge & Newer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Clarification: By "my content", I mean " the content I acquired".
    In that light, agreed. Without that clarification you went pretty marxist to me in your ideas, which triggered me to respond.
    Having born in USSR does that.

Comment

Clarification: By "my content", I mean " the content I acquired".
      You mean "the content I bought a very limited license for, that can be taken from me any time for any reason, including no reason at all."

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        You mean "the content I bought a very limited license for, that can be taken from me any time for any reason, including no reason at all."
        Yeah, that content. Physical media may be stone age but at least the licensing terms are usually better.

There are probably software tools out there that keep track of all your licenses associated with downloaded content and back them up enough different ways that you can always recover them, but that all seems like too much work to me.

Note to self - probably should keep LPs, CDs & DVDs in vault in case of house fire

Comment

I DO in fact choose not to consume any DRM emcumbered media, just as I instantly close the tab if a video has a preroll ad etc. I understand those of us with no paid files, no netflix/hulu, and no accounts on Google, Snitchbook, or Twitter are a minority but we do exist. When the filesharing lawsuits started, I stopped buying CD's, and never started consuming paid online media at all. Never have, never will. I have never once encountered a DRM protected file and would throw it away if I did. I will block any license server I ever see anything trying to connect to in /etc/hosts.

The real story is this: no computer can ever be simultaniously trusted by at most one of two or more mutually opposing parties, and posession still equals root, especially when the posessor can pick and choose the hardware to reject anything they can't unlock, then make it appear online as almost anything else. A gaming computer with "punkbuster" is trustable only by the game servers, an encrypted computer used by a spy or a social activist will be set up to be trusted by the primary user(and thus nobody else), a machine that can run 4K Netflix in hardware DRM is trustable by Netflix and ONLY by Netflix and similar companies, maybe even only one of them. If the DRM is cracked (e.g HDCP), tha NOBODY can trust that DRM box.

That said, if anyone ever comes up with a way to get the encryption key out of an HDCP supporting monitor and set the graphics card to encrypt everything sent to the screen, that blocks unwanted 3ed parties from using monitor cable RF leakage to spy on me. For me the police are the expected attacker, for a movie producer it might be that nosy neighbor from a rival studio, for a business executive visiting China it might be the MSS trying to monitor their laptop(yes, a laptop still has wires between GPU and screen). HDCP may be cracked, but when you don't have the GPU and don't have the monitor you probably have a much tougher time decrypting the content. Someone needs to test this before instead of after someone trusts HDCP with their life while dealing with Snowden-level secrets on the screen.

Comment

What about physical media, or untied digital media (files)?

Comment

What about physical media, or untied digital media (files)?
              The scary warnings that boil down to DO NOT STEAL IT MOTHERFUCKER OR I'LL SUE YOUR PANTS should give you a clue.

Comment

The scary warnings that boil down to DO NOT STEAL IT MOTHERFUCKER OR I'LL SUE YOUR PANTS should give you a clue.
                Yes, I know, I won't steal or distribute it. I ONLY WANNA LISTEN/WATCH.

Comment

will firefox and chromium support HDCP in linux? I think there is no support right now, not?

Comment

Working...
                  X