No announcement yet.

Mesa Radeon Vulkan Driver Sees ~30% Performance Boost For APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is truly amazing to see. I saw the patch when it came out and run to test it. Indeed it does improve the performance. I want to see if it does improve performance of dGPU as its in PRIME so its little limited by the iGPU.
    Edit there is a small 1-4 fps boost for dGPU too when using PRIME.
    Last edited by Haxk20; 24 August 2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Michael you can do use it in your vulkan test, as a before ~ after patch, instead of redoing all the benchmarks

Comment

"This fix boosted the average frame-rate for the Rise of the Tomb Raider Linux port by around 30% and other Feral Vulkan-powered Linux games as well as other titles."

Does it mean those games are playable now? I have no idea what the FPS used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
          Of course APU memory managment is not ideal, and only question is does this breaks perf of anything else? Does it introduce more stutter, some hangs and so on and so forth... OK, was not the only question

Optimal is the best anyway, results comes after a lot of testing of as much as possible different apps, otherwise profile

Nah, that is tested just on laptop. These are weird as that could be an issue with low carve, as laptops AFAIK have UMA Memory set on lower like even 256 MB (not sure if that is FP5 APU default or some laptop vendors decide to set it this low) so suffer here and there as default and some says it is not changable like on Desktop APUs...

It is questionable, if this improve anything for Desktops... likely testing is needed
          Probably not as this is unbreaking a perf problem... since the entries were in a cacheable area, they were probably using up cache entries... .even though they were uncachable. So what you do by putting it outside the memory area that is cachable (since it doesn't benefit from cache anyway).... is more cachable things can stay in cache... since they aren't getting pushed out by this.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Yes, there are
            Where can one find them?

Comment

Great news, good work.

(If anyone is curious, GTT in this context stands for Graphics Translation Table. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...emapping_table)

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                It would be really interesting to see the effect of this on a PS4 running Linux.
                Is this possible in newer PS4 consoles?

Were the mesa and kernel fail0verflow patches merged upstream? Last time I heard, the console hacking group didn't take the effort and AMD developers weren't happy about it nor took the effort.

AMD responds to Linux kernel maintainer's rejection of AMDGPU patch

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                Yeah about the ps4.. are there any public patch sets available (mesa and the kernel) for running linux?
                Yes, but not merged upstream :'(

https://github.com/Ps3itaTeam/ps4-linux​​​​​​​
                https://github.com/ps4gentoo/ps4-overlay https://github.com/ps4gentoo/ps4-kernel​​​​​​​
                Last edited by timofonic; 25 August 2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Running ROTR on Mageia 7 2400g Mesa 19.1.4:

Before Mountain 22.09, (min 12.85, max 42.50) After 27.46 (min 18.13, max 47.67)
                  Before Syria 22.09 (min 12.85, max 42.50) After 19.08, min 6.61, max 43.32
                  Before Geothermal Valley 17.59 (min 9.23, max 44.87) After 19.23 (min 15.75, max 24.37)
                  Before Overall 19.04, after 22.12.

It's a definite improvement, mins are usually higher and that is indeed a very good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon

Is that typo, twisted numbers? If not then this does not sound like definite improvment to me

Let alone that i don't see these 30% anywhere for you, maybe it was at different settings tested by dev... as by these numbers game does not sound like it is playable
                    Yeah it's going to differ by system/settings/game. Depends on how much the GPU is bottlenecked by memory access. IIRC where I got the 30% difference was with minimum settings @ 720p, but that was on a different APU (my 2500U laptop).

Comment

Originally posted by aejsmith View Post

Yeah it's going to differ by system/settings/game. Depends on how much the GPU is bottlenecked by memory access. IIRC where I got the 30% difference was with minimum settings @ 720p, but that was on a different APU (my 2500U laptop).
                      So we should understand the improvements as a "up to 30%" then? But at the least the 2 digits improvements seems consistent

Comment

Working...
                      X