Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2019.Q3.4 Vulkan Driver Enables Atomic Optimizer For Navi

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2019.Q3.4 Vulkan Driver Enables Atomic Optimizer For Navi

AMD's official open-source Vulkan driver code had fallen off its roughly weekly code push / release cadence with not having a new release in nearly three weeks, but that changed today with the availability of AMDVLK 2019.Q3.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using this release with the latest AMDGPU-open stack, Witcher 3 on 5700 xt seems to work OK here.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
      Using this release with the latest AMDGPU-open stack, Witcher 3 on 5700 xt seems to work OK here.
      Did you test it with radv? I didn't buy a Navi card yet, but I'm planning to.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Did you test it with radv? I didn't buy a Navi card yet, but I'm planning to.
        No testing of radv here: too much trouble currently compiling various bits required.
        Life is much easier installing binaries for amdgpu-open and amdvlk. Also very stable so far...

Comment

No testing of radv here: too much trouble currently compiling various bits required.
          Life is much easier installing binaries for amdgpu-open and amdvlk. Also very stable so far...
          At least on Debian it's quite easy to build, using uupdate and dpkg-buildpackage. See example here. I didn't expect it to be that easy actually.

Comment

Arch here with the July 23rd firmware because I was having graphics corruption and/or booting issues with the August 1st + 8th firmware, but with mesa-git + llvm-git + Linux 5.3-RC4 I'm still seeing extreme graphics corruption when trying to use any Vulkan application with AMDVLK.

However, this is an improvement from the previous behavior where it would experience extreme graphics corruption and entirely corrupt my 2nd monitor, making it unusable until a reboot.

Example:

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
              Arch here with the July 23rd firmware because I was having graphics corruption and/or booting issues with the August 1st + 8th firmware, but with mesa-git + llvm-git + Linux 5.3-RC4 I'm still seeing extreme graphics corruption when trying to use any Vulkan application with AMDVLK.

However, this is an improvement from the previous behavior where it would experience extreme graphics corruption and entirely corrupt my 2nd monitor, making it unusable until a reboot.

Example:
              I wouldn't expect that it gets tested beta unreleased version of code!
              You try radv?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

At least on Debian it's quite easy to build, using uupdate and dpkg-buildpackage. See example here. I didn't expect it to be that easy actually.
                I haven't built Mesa since days of 3Dfx Voodoo cards. I remember building both Glide and Mesa both from source with optimizations resulting in crazy performance gains (Glide was always such cleanly coded that you could go bonkers with optimization flags).

Comment

I wouldn't expect that it gets tested beta unreleased version of code!
                  You try radv?
                  Some games work perfectly with RADV, while others crash on launch. I assume that's because it's not feature complete for Navi yet.

Comment

I am still getting corruption in the latest code drop on Navi (5700XT)

Comment

Working...
                    X