Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Initial Linux Driver Support For "Renoir" APUs

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Initial Linux Driver Support For "Renoir" APUs

AMD is striking well over the past month with their Linux hardware bring-up. In the past month we've seen the Navi 10/12/14 support get in order for Linux as well as support for the future Vega-based Arcturus GPU and now we see the initial enablement patches for their next-generation APUs, Renoir...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...noir-APU-Linux

This is... unexpected to say the least. Navi was supposedly an architecture that could scale from mobile (samsung deal) up to high-end so how come they are still using Vega?

Comment

i don't believe they are. it will be navi.

Comment

Maybe Renoir is much closer to release than we might think?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          i don't believe they are. it will be navi.
          Radeon Software links Renoir to Vega, not Navi: https://twitter.com/komachi_ensaka/s...31565481586688

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Maybe Renoir is much closer to release than we might think?
          Q4 2019 or more probably Q1 2020.

Comment

I can not believe Renoir will be Vega again, Navi (RDNA) needs less memory bandwidth, is more power efficient and from scratch designed for 7 nm, to me it makes no sense at all to go on with Vega for mobile graphics

Comment

Originally posted by mumar1 View Post
              I can not believe Renoir will be Vega again, Navi (RDNA) needs less memory bandwidth, is more power efficient and from scratch designed for 7 nm, to me it makes no sense at all to go on with Vega for mobile graphics
              thats exactly my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Radeon Software links Renoir to Vega, not Navi: https://twitter.com/komachi_ensaka/s...31565481586688

Q4 2019 or more probably Q1 2020.
                That was January. Things change. I'd love to see the full list of that hex read out as I'm not seeing a single reference to Navi, but all sorts of old references up to big Vega.
                Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 08-09-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I think it's more of a time, effort, and money thing. I assume this would be Zen 2, Vega, and 7nm. Adding Navi to the new mix would likely push it out to mid to late 2020. With Vega, it's closer to a shrink of the existing APU, and it's possible to then have it ready to show at CES 2020, and a release in early 2020. Maybe in 2021 they add in Navi + DDR5 to the mix (though I have no idea how far out DDR5 is, let alone for mobile).

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    while most of he code changes

Comment

Working...
                    X