No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets Wired For Compute-Only Arcturus To Handle Video Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets Wired For Compute-Only Arcturus To Handle Video Decode

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets Wired For Compute-Only Arcturus To Handle Video Decode

In addition to new patches coming out on Monday for addressing power management with AMD's unreleased "Arcturus" GPU, a set of Mesa patches were merged for adding RadeonSI Gallium3D driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any information about VCN 2.5?
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 July 2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

tildearrow newer hw doesn't use VCE it's succeeded by VCN.
      Last edited by Nille_kungen; 30 July 2019, 04:48 AM.

Comment

I wonder if Arcturus also has the 3D engine on the chip and if it is a customized and updated Vega 10/20 under the hood and could be used as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          tildearrow newer hw doesn't use VCE it's succeeded by VCN.
          I fixed it to VCN.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

are you stupid? we requested a compute only chip without any "3D Engine" for tasks like Blockchain mining years ago.

Now we get it and you do speculation about a magic 3D Engine on top of a compute only chip.

I remember the forum posts with Bridgman years ago he pointed out that many compute-only customers really do use the video VCN unit. this means the babbling here in the phoronx.com forum is more productive for future planing of new products than many people believe.

One if for sure if the next blockchain mining boom comes up Nvidia will be doomed because of the "Arcturus" chips.

I think the chip without "3D Engine" can save 40% of the silicium chip die. so the price will be very competitive for people who do compute only stuff.
            I am just curious, not stupid. A compute-only chip would be a new thing though as they would need to re-architect the whole chip for this purpose.

And while I see a purpose for such a compute-only card, it must be competitive with much more flexible fully-functional GPUs from the competition and other specialized AI-hardware which should have a performance/watt advantage. Thus it could serve a market right in the middle (as for being usable for a wider range of compute tasks).

But I was originally wondering if we see an updated Vega 10/20 chip for HPC after all.

Comment

Working...
            X