Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Sends Out Linux Graphics Driver Patches For "Arcturus" As New Vega Derived GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    AMD is still selling them direct from amd.com. I just bought one. Possible reasons: compute, AI/ML (tensorflow runs well on the VII). It runs games well at 4K on Windows.
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't think they'd all dried up, just yet.

No, I haven't played any games in years, and after buying too many things that just collect dust, I now force myself to wait until I actually have a specific use for something, before buying it. And although I've done a bit of OpenCL and OpenGL programming, my current GPUs are more than enough for my modest needs.

There is something attractive about Radeon VII as quite possibly the apotheosis of GCN. If it weren't so pricey, that might be reason enough to snag one.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    I wish I had a good reason to snatch up a Radeon VII, but I can't justify it. I'll probably think of one, just after the channel has completely cleared out.
    AMD is still selling them direct from amd.com. I just bought one. Possible reasons: compute, AI/ML (tensorflow runs well on the VII). It runs games well at 4K on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    I'd be interested in acquiring a PC compatible dual GPU Radeon VII card with 32+ GB HBM2 if AMD makes one (hint, hint @bridgman).
    Yeah, he just said hardware isn't his area:
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    No idea, sorry... that's about 85 departments away from us.
    I think the market for dual-GPU cards is small enough they'll only make a Pro II Duo. Pricing will probably be closer to $3k than $1500.

I wish I had a good reason to snatch up a Radeon VII, but I can't justify it. I'll probably think of one, just after the channel has completely cleared out.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    It looks to me like it has a normal PCIe connector and a second connector for Thunderbolt. Then, there's the over-the-top connector, for Infinity Fabric. I'll bet it plugs into a PC just fine. Of course, that doesn't help if you can't buy them on the open market.

I expect they'll release a PC-only version without the Thunderbolt connector, in the near future. They're probably just holding back to ensure adequate supply for Apple.
    The second connector physically would intersect with various bit & pieces of an ATX mobo, though I expect you are correct at the electrical level.

I'd be interested in acquiring a PC compatible dual GPU Radeon VII card with 32+ GB HBM2 if AMD makes one (hint, hint @bridgman).

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    The Radeon Pro Vega II is a more powerful videocard, certainly. But it uses a non-standard host interface and is only available for one Apple computer model.
    It looks to me like it has a normal PCIe connector and a second connector for Thunderbolt. Then, there's the over-the-top connector, for Infinity Fabric. I'll bet it plugs into a PC just fine. Of course, that doesn't help if you can't buy them on the open market.

I'm just a PC, if you will. If it doesn't use standard PCIe3 or 4 then I can't consider it.
    I expect they'll release a PC-only version without the Thunderbolt connector, in the near future. They're probably just holding back to ensure adequate supply for Apple.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

The Radeon Pro Vega II is a more powerful videocard, certainly. But it uses a non-standard host interface and is only available for one Apple computer model. I'm just a PC, if you will. If it doesn't use standard PCIe3 or 4 then I can't consider it.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    It's probably superseded by the Radeon Pro Vega II, kinda like how their Vega Frontier Edition was superseded by the Radeon Pro WX 9100.
    The Radeon Pro Vega II is a more powerful videocard, certainly. But it uses a non-standard host interface and is only available for one Apple computer model. I'm just a PC, if you will. If it doesn't use standard PCIe3 or 4 then I can't consider it.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Is the Radeon VII officially EOL?
    It's probably superseded by the Radeon Pro Vega II, kinda like how their Vega Frontier Edition was superseded by the Radeon Pro WX 9100.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Guessing you mean "not building more" rather than actual EOL ? I see the term "EOL" being used a lot but AFAIK that means ending support, not ending production.

If/when I hear about production stopping I will make sure the question of "what are we recommending for entry level FP64 compute now ?" gets asked.
    Thanks!

(I did mean "not building more", I was speaking imprecisely.)

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Is the Radeon VII officially EOL? If so, can you tell Lisa that we need a replacement for compute for the people who cannot fit full supercomputers in their basement or attic? Thanks ;-)

Guessing you mean "not building more" rather than actual EOL ? I see the term "EOL" being used a lot but AFAIK that means ending support, not ending production.

If/when I hear about production stopping I will make sure the question of "what are we recommending for entry level FP64 compute now ?" gets asked.
    Last edited by bridgman; 19 July 2019, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X