Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Sends Out Linux Graphics Driver Patches For "Arcturus" As New Vega Derived GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Linux Graphics Driver Patches For "Arcturus" As New Vega Derived GPU

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Linux Graphics Driver Patches For "Arcturus" As New Vega Derived GPU

Remember last September when that AMD Arcturus codename dropped in our forums for what at first appeared to be a successor to Navi but later clarified to be used as a Linux driver enablement codename? Well, the Linux kernel driver patches for this "Arcturus" GPU have just been posted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Arcuturus isn't a small change
    VCN2.5? Workstation card? Oh finally! Now please tell me whether this does 4:4:4 for once... ...and I'm buying soon.

Never mind, it's a graphics-less card...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 16 July 2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Dual Vega 20 for apple maybe?

Comment

Something the likes of Radeon Pro V340 in "less expensive" would be really nice. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
          Something the likes of Radeon Pro V340 in "less expensive" would be really nice. ;-)
          And display output....that would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Dual Vega 20 for apple maybe?
            Considering how that thing is connected to the new Pro trough a dual connector setup with a standard PCIe and an additional proprietary connector, most probably so they don't have to put in any additional power connectors on the other side or back of the card, I don't think this is that exact card. Specially not when, unlike this card, that card is also used as a video card.

However you probably are right on the money about the card being a dual Vega 20 board. Most probably it's a data center variant of that design and will probably offer some fairly competitive performance like AMD cards have long since done if you know how to utilize them properly.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Considering how that thing is connected to the new Pro trough a dual connector setup with a standard PCIe and an additional proprietary connector, most probably so they don't have to put in any additional power connectors on the other side or back of the card, I don't think this is that exact card. Specially not when, unlike this card, that card is also used as a video card.

However you probably are right on the money about the card being a dual Vega 20 board. Most probably it's a data center variant of that design and will probably offer some fairly competitive performance like AMD cards have long since done if you know how to utilize them properly.
              Well that exascale Frontier HPC will use vega instinct cards, so maybe this is dual gpu to get denser form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                As always, working on new stuff without finishing the old stuff, typical AMD.
                Are you suggesting we stop releasing new chips, or that we release them without Linux support ?

Neither seems workable to me.
                Last edited by bridgman; 16 July 2019, 12:43 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you suggesting we stop releasing new chips, or that we release them without Linux support ?

Neither seems workable to me.
                  Arcturus will be a big change right ? no more gcn ? RT cores hardware equivalent?

Personally have big expectations for this chip, only left wait to 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                    I have a Raven Ridge and the experience is still as awful as the first day I got this computer (it's been almost a year and I still see screen artifacts).
                    I thought those were resolved - is this a different issue ?

Phoronix: RadeonSI Primitive Culling Lands In Mesa 19.2 The past few months AMD's Marek Olšák has been working on primitive culling support for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver and last week that code was merged into the Mesa 19.2 development code... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mesa-19.2-RadeonSI
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X