X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I just checked the pages again (in case I had missed something) and still don't see that. Can you point me to the page ?

Thanks !

2nd to last table under Specifications. I'm not trying to post fud or BS, what I posted was literally copy/pasted from the same page the driver downloads are located at. While that's for the 580, all the GPUs I've checked have that same setup.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    How so? That's all listed on their page with the Linux drivers saying "these are this GPUs supported features".
    I just checked the pages again (in case I had missed something) and still don't see that. Can you point me to the page ?

EDIT - never mind, I found it. Someone on the web team copied the HW spec page for the selected GPU down below the driver links without taking OS into account. I'll see if I can get that cleaned up.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06 July 2019, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied

I dunno but I do have an educated assumption.

AMD has it as 3rd gen on their driver download page, Wikipedia has it as 4th Gen.

I'm assuming it's due to AMD changing their naming scheme a year or two ago where 1.0 became 1, 1.1 became 2, 2 became 3, etc...at the end of it's life that was an annoyance when looking up information for my old 260x because it went from GCN 1.1 to GCN2 due to the naming scheme change.
    In the driver, they name these generations a bit differently, e.g. Polaris is GFX8, Vega 10 (and others of that family) are GFX9, Navi is GFX10.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post
    Polaris is really 4th Gen GCN Architecture? I do not see it in the documentation: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    I dunno but I do have an educated assumption.

AMD has it as 3rd gen on their driver download page, Wikipedia has it as 4th Gen.

I'm assuming it's due to AMD changing their naming scheme a year or two ago where 1.0 became 1, 1.1 became 2, 2 became 3, etc...at the end of it's life that was an annoyance when looking up information for my old 260x because it went from GCN 1.1 to GCN2 due to the naming scheme change.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Some of these things, like TressFX and Chill are hardware-agnostic software. They don't have anything to do with the hardware and it's drivers. Others are high-level marketing abstractions for what is in reality a set of several features. Not a great indication of what's lacking and what isn't to be honest.
    How so? That's all listed on their page with the Linux drivers saying "these are this GPUs supported features".

Whether a feature is done in hardware or software is a moot point. They advertise them like they're supported everywhere when, in actuality, they're listing mainly Windows-only Software Features & Tools and the various supported APIs that Linux & Windows can use. This is exactly why I suggested that they should * the stuff that is Windows-only the other day.

Leave a comment:

• commiethebeastie
    replied

Polaris is really 4th Gen GCN Architecture? I do not see it in the documentation: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied

This is what they list as supported for the RX 580:

Code:
    Radeon™ VR Ready Premium Radeon™ Software
    Radeon™ FreeSync Technology
    AMD LiquidVR™ Technology
    4th Gen GCN Architecture
    Radeon™ Chill
    Radeon™ ReLive
    DirectX® 12 Technology
    AMD Eyefinity Technology (Gaming)
    AMD App Acceleration
    AMD CrossFire™ Technology
    AMD CrossFire™ (Bridgeless)
    3rd Gen 14nm Process Technology
    OpenCL 2.0
    OpenGL 4.5
    AMD PowerTune Technology
    TrueAudio Next
    Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
    Video Code Engine (VCE)
    Virtual Super Resolution
    The Vulkan® API
    So, like, 75% of that list for Polaris.

For Vega (64) we have:

Code:
     Radeon™ VR Ready Premium
    Radeon™ FreeSync Technology
    Radeon™ Chill
    Radeon™ ReLive
    DirectX® 12 Technology
    AMD Eyefinity Technology (Gaming)
    Catalyst Software
    OpenCL 2.0
    OpenGL 4.5
    AMD PowerTune Technology
    TressFX Hair
    TrueAudio Next
    Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
    Video Code Engine (VCE)
    Virtual Super Resolution
    The Vulkan® API
    AMD ZeroCore Power Technology
    Or the same stuff that Polaris doesn't have with TressFX Hair and ZeroCore Power Technology added to the list.

I'm assuming they just forgot to add "Catalyst Software" to the Polaris/580 list.
    Some of these things, like TressFX and Chill are hardware-agnostic software. They don't have anything to do with the hardware and it's drivers. Others are high-level marketing abstractions for what is in reality a set of several features. Not a great indication of what's lacking and what isn't to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Mel Spektor
    replied
    just in time for the Sunday benchmark! 7/7

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Mhh, while looking at the MR from Marek it seems some functionality is also enabled for GFX9 if I read several checks within the code correctly...

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

What's missing?
    Next Generation Geometry (NGG), Primitive Shaders and Primitive Binning come to my mind (the latter was implemented but tuned for Raven Ridge and later disabled for dGPUs).

For Primitive Shaders and NGG, see: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...itive_shaders/
    Primitive Binning is just enabled on RADV: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Default-Patch
    For NGG also this: https://www.mail-archive.com/amd-gfx.../msg24458.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X