• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post
    Polaris is 3rd or 4th GCN?
    3-1/2th maybe ?

It programs like a 3rd generation part other than a single register bit, but a number of the HW blocks changed to improve performance and save power. From a marketing POV it is reasonable to call it a 4th generation part while from a driver perspective it's still GFX8.

Leave a comment:

• commiethebeastie
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I just checked the pages again (in case I had missed something) and still don't see that. Can you point me to the page ?

EDIT - never mind, I found it. Someone on the web team copied the HW spec page for the selected GPU down below the driver links without taking OS into account. I'll see if I can get that cleaned up.
    Is Polaris 3rd or 4th GCN?
    Last edited by commiethebeastie; 15 July 2019, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Right. Looks like bridgman is looking to get it fixed so that's good. I'm all for consumer rights and stuff like that, but I also think we have to pick our fights rationally. Turns out you actually did since you were talking about the driver download page specifically which didn't occur to me at first
    I'm glad. Depending on how AMD does their layout, it could make it more apparent that they take Linux under consideration just as much as they do Windows.

Funny enough, none of it effects me that much because I've been an AMD user long enough to know better, but a new user or a company considering switching from Nvidia to AMD or Windows to Linux might see all of that lumped in together and feel a bit misled after the switch.

Nvidia isn't any better in this regard either. Being straight up with what they support on a per-OS basis will allow AMD to one-up Nvidia in the honesty department. The honesty department, e.g. AMDGPU, was my deciding factor for switching to AMD 8 years ago and I'd like the website to reflect that so other people might make the same decision for the same reasons as myself.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'd agree if I wasn't basing all of this off of their presentation from the driver download page.

I completely understand hyping up a product on the box. No one would buy a Vega64 if the box said "mediocre performance compared to a 1080" or a 550 if the box was honest and said "close to the worst GPU we offer" or a 560 if it said "gaming GPU for poor people" on the box.
    Right. Looks like bridgman is looking to get it fixed so that's good. I'm all for consumer rights and stuff like that, but I also think we have to pick our fights rationally. Turns out you actually did since you were talking about the driver download page specifically which didn't occur to me at first

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

No, but I think we can agree that the problem is the presentation on the box which is 50% marketing non-sense. Would be nice if that wasn't the case.
    I'd agree if I wasn't basing all of this off of their presentation from the driver download page.

I completely understand hyping up a product on the box. No one would buy a Vega64 if the box said "mediocre performance compared to a 1080" or a 550 if the box was honest and said "close to the worst GPU we offer" or a 560 if it said "gaming GPU for poor people" on the box.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    From a consumer perspective, is asking for features to be asterisked or separated into Common, Windows, and Linux too much to ask?
    No, but I think we can agree that the problem is the presentation on the box which is 50% marketing non-sense. Would be nice if that wasn't the case.

As for Chill and other proprietary parts, that's what AMDGPU-Pro is for and I'd have no issues if they were only available via the closed driver. That's the literal point for that driver.
    Good point!

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Sure, from the consumer perspective you have a good point, but if you look at the technicalities of some of these things and how they're implemented, then you can probably come to the conclusion that we will never see some of it on GNU/Linux.

Look at TressFX for example. It's an open source library targeting game developers. Sadly, it was written for Windows and DirectX only. The only game I can remember which actually used TressFX is Tomb Raider 2013. There were also some games implementing their own forks of TressFX such as "Pure Hair" (RotTR).

The good news is that TressFX was recently ported to other platforms and Vulkan as part of a larger project, but it's up to game developers to actually make use of it and it's not really something that AMD can provide for you.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-1.22-TressFX

As for Chill, I'm pretty sure it's proprietary and patented (can't find the link right now, but trust me there is a patent) and not sure if an open source implementation could be made from a legal standpoint. If it wasn't for that then anyone, including Nvidia could provide software that accomplishes what Chill does.
    From a consumer perspective, is asking for features to be asterisked or separated into Common, Windows, and Linux too much to ask?

As far as TressFX and features like that that are already open source, making them available as part of Mesa, OpenGL, Vulkan, or whatever should be on their to-do list so more developers can make use of them in, hopefully, an OS agnostic manner.

As for Chill and other proprietary parts, that's what AMDGPU-Pro is for and I'd have no issues if they were only available via the closed driver. That's the literal point for that driver.

For Catalyst -- A GUI that combined Wattman-GTK, Adriconf, and some options for environment variables like MSAA, R600_TEX_ANISO, VK_ICD_FILENAMES, AMDVLK_ENABLE_DEVELOPING_EXT, AMD_DEBUG, etc would get us most of the way there. Integrating gamemode and libstrangle into that would be very helpful as well.

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
    Must be a lot of fun trying to get a good article out in time, when all the software pieces are still landing
    More stuff to write about though! 😁

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied

How so? That's all listed on their page with the Linux drivers saying "these are this GPUs supported features".

Whether a feature is done in hardware or software is a moot point. They advertise them like they're supported everywhere when, in actuality, they're listing mainly Windows-only Software Features & Tools and the various supported APIs that Linux & Windows can use. This is exactly why I suggested that they should * the stuff that is Windows-only the other day.
    Sure, from the consumer perspective you have a good point, but if you look at the technicalities of some of these things and how they're implemented, then you can probably come to the conclusion that we will never see some of it on GNU/Linux.

Look at TressFX for example. It's an open source library targeting game developers. Sadly, it was written for Windows and DirectX only. The only game I can remember which actually used TressFX is Tomb Raider 2013. There were also some games implementing their own forks of TressFX such as "Pure Hair" (RotTR).

The good news is that TressFX was recently ported to other platforms and Vulkan as part of a larger project, but it's up to game developers to actually make use of it and it's not really something that AMD can provide for you.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-1.22-TressFX

As for Chill, I'm pretty sure it's proprietary and patented (can't find the link right now, but trust me there is a patent) and not sure if an open source implementation could be made from a legal standpoint. If it wasn't for that then anyone, including Nvidia could provide software that accomplishes what Chill does.

Leave a comment:

• Pahanilmanlintu
    replied
    Must be a lot of fun trying to get a good article out in time, when all the software pieces are still landing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X