RadeonSI Getting Fixed Up To Expose 10-bit VP9 Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I wonder if they ever will release AMF for Linux.
    There *is* AMF for Linux, but requires the Vulkan proprietary driver for it to work. Plus ffmpeg doesn't have official support for it.

I was about to post a link, but then got into a family problem and now I am not doing so. You can search "amf linux" and "ffmpeg amf linux".

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

So I get the same output as you if I revert my change in /etc/mpv/mpv.conf (default was hwdec=vaapi and I changed it to hwdec=auto).

I noticed with the default setting of hwdec=vaapi, I wasn't getting hardware decoding on any videos.

For example, on another YouTube video, with hwdec=auto, I get hardware decoding via vdpau:

AO: [pulse] 44100Hz mono 1ch float
      Using hardware decoding (vdpau).
      VO: [gpu] 1280x720 vdpau[yuv420p]
      AV: 00:00:13 / 00:07:10 (3%) A-V: 0.000 Cache: 57s+12MB
      ​​
      I'm on Ubuntu disco 19.04, kernel 5.1.15, Mesa 19.2 git, ffmpeg 4.1.3, RX 480
      In Arch, mpv does not come with a /etc/mpv/mpv.conf -- I assume it uses default settings (hwdec=auto).
      There is an example, but it is not used : /usr/share/doc/mpv/mpv.conf
      In fact, the section on hwdec in the latter file, reads:

# Enable hardware decoding if available. Often, this does not work with all
      # video outputs, but should work well with default settings on most systems.
      # If performance or energy usage is an issue, forcing the vdpau or vaapi VOs
      # may or may not help.
      #hwdec=auto

The only conf file in /etc is:

/etc/mpv/encoding-profiles.conf

also the directory ~/.config/mpv/ is empty.
      You can check the content of the package (and download it in case you want to compare confs) from:

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

Good luck with getting any bugs fixed at all, especially with AMD.
        What's your problem you moron?

At least AMD has code out to need bugs fixed in, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          And when will you expose 4:4:4 encode? If you don't do this soon I may be switching to Intel's GPU...
          You're saying "expose" which suggests you know that the hardware supports it - is that the case ? For clarity I'm not saying there is no HW support, just that I don't know... and generally we do expose what the HW supports.

If not, are you talking about just doing a format conversion from 4:4:4 to something the HW does support ?
          Test signature

Comment

Nice. Though it seems everybody forgot about this, preventing VAAPI deinterlacing outside primitive VAAPI renderers on AMD :
            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105145
            With respect, the bug ticket seems to suggest that is a limitation in VA-API, not AMD driver/HW.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
              They fix a lot of bugs, although there are some long standing bugs on the bug tracker as well.
              Fixed that for you. The existence of an unfixed bug does not mean that other bugs are not being fixed.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                With respect, the bug ticket seems to suggest that is a limitation in VA-API, not AMD driver/HW.
                Hm, then perhaps someone qualified should make a proposal to VAAPI devs how it could be get to work on AMD? It works on Intel, just tested it with my Gemini Lake device (btw. VAAPI decoding of VC-1 interlaced is still broken on AMD too, producing garbled output).
                Of course I'm not mad about this issue, as I mainly consume web content, which is entirely progressive.

What bothers me much more is this problem of the xf86-video-amdgpu driver + wine (yeah, I've linked it before):

Also reported it to wine in the meantime:

Completely destroys Wine gaming with FreeSync on modern AMD cards such as Vega or Navi, and is also a bad hassle otherwise.

Comment

Hm, then perhaps someone qualified should make a proposal to VAAPI devs how it could be get to work on AMD?
                  Reading through the bug ticket comments it seems that has been done a couple of times already, but will try to confirm offline.
                  Test signature

Comment

Lol, VP9 decode? Even H.264 decode through VAAPI doesn't work. AMD's vaCreateSurfaces implementation creates NV12 surface, while their vaDeriveImage implementation doesn't support NV12.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                      Does anyone know if this would solve the following error when using mpv to play a 4K youtube video?

Code:
                      $ mpv 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bey4XXJAqS8'
                      Playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bey4XXJAqS8
                      (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 3840x2160 29.970fps)
                      (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) 'DASH audio' (opus 2ch 48000Hz) (external)
                      Subs --sid=1 --slang=en 'vtt' (webvtt) (external)
                      mesa: for the -simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
                      mesa: for the -global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
                      [B][ffmpeg/video] vp9: No support for codec vp9 profile 0.
                      [ffmpeg/video] vp9: Failed setup for format vaapi_vld: hwaccel initialisation returned error.[/B]
                      AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
                      VO: [gpu] 3840x2160 yuv420p
                      AV: 00:01:28 / 00:29:36 (4%) A-V: 0.000 Cache: 80s+155MB
                      Does your GPU support VP9 decode?

Comment

Working...
                      X