AMD Sends In Navi Support & Other Remaining AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends In Navi Support & Other Remaining AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.3

Phoronix: AMD Sends In Navi Support & Other Remaining AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.3

On Saturday night AMDGPU/Radeon DRM maintainer Alex Deucher sent in the final batch of feature updates to DRM-Next that is targeting the upcoming Linux 5.3 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I forget if this has been asked/answered, but now that we're actually seeing Navi-specific code, are we going to see a "radeonrdna" driver (or I guess maybe "radeonstars"), or is radeonsi going to remain the main driver in the foreseeable future? Either way works for me, but if RDNA really is as different as AMD/Su claims, I imagine that might warrant a new driver, to avoid any potential conflicts with the older one. This will be especially true if RDNA GPUs get a patch/feature that GCN doesn't.

Comment

Too bad that they still have not released the GPU control panel.
      Even though they have good open source drivers, the lack of the control panel still makes Windows a better OS for AMD GPUs.
      Navi lauch would've been the perfect time to release also the control panel. Such a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Even though they have good open source drivers, the lack of the control panel still makes Windows a better OS for AMD GPUs.
        Navi lauch would've been the perfect time to release also the control panel. Such a shame!
        Hi, I have a Vega64, previous I had a RX480 and a GTX1080. I'm really happy of the change. The open source driver is rock solid and I was able to use wayland desktops. I switched to kde X11 3 years ago without performance problems with AMD gpus (compared to nvidia). I just hope for kde to solve a couple of problems in kwin_wayland and than all we be even more happy. I don't feel the necessity to have a control panel and I recommend AMD Vega or Polaris without problems over NVIDIA.

Comment

Is the RX 5700 going to perform better than the Radeon VII? Or will the VII remain the top tier product?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            Is the RX 5700 going to perform better than the Radeon VII? Or will the VII remain the top tier product?
            They are targeting the RTX 2070 and RTX 2060 with Navi 10 (Nvidia's SUPER lineup is supposed to counter this though), hence RVII will remain at the top against the RTX 2080, but it remains to be seen if the price difference between both is justified by its performance lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I have both owned an RX 480 and now I own a Radeon VII. Same as sp82 already outlined, I too never felt the need to have any control panel at all. For overclocking / undervolting, fan profiles, and stuff there is however two control panels (WattmanGTK and radeon-profile), if you do overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

They are targeting the RTX 2070 and RTX 2060 with Navi 10 (Nvidia's SUPER lineup is supposed to counter this though), hence RVII will remain at the top against the RTX 2080, but it remains to be seen if the price difference between both is justified by its performance lead.
                As far as I see the VII also mostly competes with the 2070, at least I haven't seen too many benchmarks where it beats the 2080 (or the 2080 Ti).

Comment

Navi 10 is GCN with patches to make it less constrained. Navi 2x is RDNA. What we have here is a cheaper GDDR6 card to fill in the gap for a ridiculous price.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post

Hi, I have a Vega64, previous I had a RX480 and a GTX1080. I'm really happy of the change. The open source driver is rock solid and I was able to use wayland desktops. I switched to kde X11 3 years ago without performance problems with AMD gpus (compared to nvidia). I just hope for kde to solve a couple of problems in kwin_wayland and than all we be even more happy. I don't feel the necessity to have a control panel and I recommend AMD Vega or Polaris without problems over NVIDIA.

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post

I have both owned an RX 480 and now I own a Radeon VII. Same as sp82 already outlined, I too never felt the need to have any control panel at all. For overclocking / undervolting, fan profiles, and stuff there is however two control panels (WattmanGTK and radeon-profile), if you do overclocking.
                    I have an RX 560, but I plan to upgrade to one of the Navi cards and buy a HDR + Freesync monitor
                    I want to be able to inspect in a graphical way that the connection (HDMI or DisplayPort) between the GPU and the monitor has what it takes for HDR and Freesync
                    I want also to be able to inspect the temperature and the fan speed.
                    Then I want to tweak the GPU as much as possible for better gaming performance and possibly for better mining in case I get into that.
                    I want to be able to overclock / underclock and set fan profile depending on the situation.
                    Also I want to activate some power efficiency features like the frame limiting one for when the computer is idling.
                    Basically I want to have the same power of configuration that I have on Windows.

I don't know what the other control panels can do, but I assume it's just some basic stuff missing a lot of the other options.

I hope they will release it this year, even in proprietary form at the beginning and leave the open sourcing stuff for later.
                    Hopefully they will do something about this too. I don't want to rely on Windows anymore when I want to have complete control over the GPUs features in a nice graphical way.

Comment

Working...
                    X