AMDVLK Still Hasn't Yet Adopted FreeSync Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Adaptive Sync is broken on Linux anyways, I wonder why nobody talks about this.
    No it's not. There are some bugs (AMD drivers, compositors), some limitations but it *DOES* work.

Since nowadays it is rather a standard, especially for linux users to use multi monitor setups
    No it's not: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics ("Monitors" section)
    Here (2012) less than 15% Windows users used multi-monitor: https://www.pcgamer.com/poll-do-you-...n-one-monitor/
    And do note this includes office workers who are far more likely to have the need for a second screen.

Maybe multi-monitor freesync could work if enabling it for the whole desktop.
    My last try with Freesync on AMD was weird: it was globally on.
    The compositor (muffin) blacklist didn't work so freesync was always on.
    I could tell because the mouse movement was slow and the screen flickered unless I ran an application that updated the screen at every refresh (glxgears).
    So I guess in such a situation even gaming in a window would work with freesync!

The alternative is of course to wait for the fabled "Wayland that will fix everything" (TM)

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
      My last try with Freesync on AMD was weird: it was globally on.
      The compositor (muffin) blacklist didn't work so freesync was always on.
      I encountered the same thing. It was caused by having an old .drirc file in my home folder which lacked the blacklist but is loaded before the system default configuration file. The solution is to either delete this file, or copy the up to date system default into your home folder.

Comment

Freesync in Wayland compositors needs more push.

e.g. FreeSync Upcoming DRM feature: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2018-October/192874.html 11:13 Shibe, SardemFF7, emersion, DRM freesync support as currently designed will ...

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...land/issues/84
        Last edited by shmerl; 18 June 2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
          It's a bit ironic that the AMDVLK Vulkan driver still hasn't done its bit of hooking into the AMDGPU FreeSync support even though the code-base is partially shared with their Windows driver
          I don't think it's ironic at all that their windows driver code doesn't have some linux-specific code in it... Because that feature has to hook into X (or the wayland compositor).

Sad/unfortunate, yes. Ironic, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
            Is there a simple way to check whether FreeSync is active or not?
            I am running Kubuntu 19.04 with Kernel 5.0 and Mesa 19.2, have a FreeSync compatible 144Hz Monitor and a Vega 56

However I am still not sure if my games are synced. On Windows you can simply activate or deactive FreeSync in the AMD driver
            On Linux there is no simple on/off switch.
            Do I have to activate V-Sync in Games for FreeSync to be active?

In general I would appreciate a(nother but more) in depth article on FreeSync.
            thx
            I am planning to get a Vega 56. Does it work out of the box with 19.04 *.buntus? or did you load additional non-free drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Sounds good. There is an interesting upcoming FreeSync monitor - LG 27GL850, that claims to have 1ms GtG response time, and good colors due to their "nano"-IPS. But I wonder whether it has adaptive overdrive or not when used with FreeSync. That info is surprisingly hard to find.
              The green sticker on the monitor costs a few hundred dollars.

Comment

I was really hyped after I read those articles that Adaptive Sync finally works, only to find out that the X Window Sytem will never support Adaptive Sync if more than one monitor is connected to the machine.
                There's no such limitation. Some actual limitations are:
                • FreeSync only works while an application (which isn't blacklisted in Mesa, i.e. at this point basically not a browser or video player) is fullscreen and using page flipping (which is only possible if the application window fully covers the whole desktop).
                • With multiple monitors, monitors with narrow refresh ranges (or worse, only fixed refresh support) will affect how much the refresh rate can actually vary.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                  FreeSync only works while an application (which isn't blacklisted in Mesa, i.e. at this point basically not a browser or video player) is fullscreen and using page flipping (which is only possible if the application window fully covers the whole desktop).[/LIST]
                  Good luck playing your game spread over two displays.

Comment

Originally posted by phrix View Post

The green sticker on the monitor costs a few hundred dollars.
                    That sticker is misleading. It doesn't have any gsync modules, so the price will be reasonable. Around $500.

Comment

Working...
                    X