New GFX1011 / GFX1012 Targets Appear In AMDGPU LLVM Compiler Backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GFX1011 / GFX1012 Targets Appear In AMDGPU LLVM Compiler Backend

Phoronix: New GFX1011 / GFX1012 Targets Appear In AMDGPU LLVM Compiler Backend

To date the open-source AMD "Navi" graphics code inside their LLVM compiler back-end has been focused on the "GFX1010" target but now it's been branched out to also GFX1011 and GFX1012...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I don't like about these new launches is that they are not releasing full lineups.
    I mean they are launching just 1 chip (mid to high level) , but they should've had more like 3.
    That's how they did it until a few years ago and NVidia is still doing it now. Even Polaris was launched with 2 chips. (and pretty good chips).
    How much more expensive would've been to make another bigger die and a smaller one?
    We now have to wait one more year for lower or better performance and price points.

Comment

We get a id number a month before launch. Outstanding.

If AMD is doing $500 for mid tier gpu's, they might as well do what they did for Apple with a halo effect top tier card and charge $1000 for it. That would at least buy some mindshare across the stack.

This Chinese water torture release cycle isn't cutting it if they aren't going to undercut Nvidia as they do Intel. The only reason to buy are the open drivers, and they aren't even doing that. It'll be November support if they decide to drop the code before 7/7.

From the rumors, Sony R&D'd Navi, and 2/3's of the Radeon Tech Group went to work for their product(s). The desktop market is going to die on the vine if there isn't some sane gpu competition soon. And that will spill over into their and Intel's cpu division. When a mid-tier card with the same performance as 3 years ago costs as much as your entire computer system, you are doing it wrong. Dr. Su made some strategic choices here. I hope AMD doesn't chew off their own tail in the process of increasing profits by any means necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        If AMD is doing $500 for mid tier gpu's, they might as well do what they did for Apple with a halo effect top tier card and charge $1000 for it. That would at least buy some mindshare across the stack.
        I'm not sure that would work. That dual-GPU card they released for the Mac Pro isn't RDNA to my knowledge, so if the top-tier card for "everyone else" ends up being a last-gen part, I think that'd actually make them look worse. AMD is under enough scrutiny as-is for how often they release last-gen parts, rebranded or otherwise.
        The desktop market is going to die on the vine if there isn't some sane gpu competition soon. And that will spill over into their and Intel's cpu division. When a mid-tier card with the same performance as 3 years ago costs as much as your entire computer system, you are doing it wrong. Dr. Su made some strategic choices here. I hope AMD doesn't chew off their own tail in the process of increasing profits by any means necessary.
        I agree this release cycle is getting annoying (especially given how much time and money they got from the mining craze) but people like you make the situation seem far more dire than it really is. First of all, no, people don't just buy AMD for their open-drivers (case in point: most of their Windows and Mac users) but also, AMD is actually still very competitive, just not in gaming. I'm sure if they had CUDA support, they'd actually be doing better in the server market than Nvidia.
        As for gamers, I really don't understand the obsession people have of which brand has "the best" GPU, whether they want/can buy it or not. AMD doesn't need to outperform Nvidia, they need to make something that caters to modern software demands. Having a mid-range GPU that can render 4K@60Hz does exactly that. It'd be nice if we could get a little more performance, but, that's why AMD has yet to release their more high-end stuff.

Anyway, since games often revolve around console capabilities, it makes more sense for AMD to prioritize consoles and then make PC-grade hardware that basically just amplifies what they did for consoles. That may mean we have to wait longer, but we should in turn see better results.

Comment

I still don't get it...
          Are the RX 5700 and Radeon RX 5700XT the only Navi GPUs that AMD will launch next month ?
          I am interested to buy something like Rx 570, but based on Navi.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            As for gamers, I really don't understand the obsession people have of which brand has "the best" GPU, whether they want/can buy it or not.
            The need to feel part of the "winning" team. Can be observed with sports and most other social things. Not particularly strange for humans.

People of the same nation, or just arbitrary sworn sports team allegiance, will get VERY excited when a top-tier badass athlete does score some points for "their team", even if them as spectators are usually not responsible nor even involved in any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              (especially given how much time and money they got from the mining craze)
              In case it's not clear, we were not the ones making money from the crazy high prices... that money was being made by resellers.

Demand might have been higher than expected because of mining but wafer fab slots are planned out well in advance and it's not really possible to crank up production much just because the demand spiked. That's why prices jumped up so much and made it hard for gamers to buy our products - larger demand but relatively fixed supply.
              Last edited by bridgman; 15 June 2019, 04:18 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                From the rumors, Sony R&D'd Navi, and 2/3's of the Radeon Tech Group went to work for their product(s).
                I get that. The story that Navi was created for consoles because Sony (and then Microsoft) were paying for it, and was later upscaled and upclocked for PCs at least has logic going for it, how much of it is true notwithstanding. It even neatly explains the relatively high TDPs on 5700/XT, which is the common result when you overclock something designed for lower power.

It also suggests to me that the 5700 cards will act as testbeds for the console versions, intentionally or not, just by virtue of being released so far in advance. Console RDNA was the initial design target, but will release more than a year later? Will it be RDNA 1.0, or 1.1? Or is there actually 'hardware raytracing' silicon that makes it something else?

And then there is Danny3's point about product tiers. For over a decade the second numeral of an ATI/AMD card being being '7' denoted light gaming. Should we expect a 5800? But how much would that sell for? A 5600 for people like Danny? Will the architecture stretch to a 5900? The messaging is really confused. Naming suggests more (and less) powerful Navi coming. Lisa Su seemed to say that Vega would remain the most powerful option, which casts doubt on a 5800 and certainly a 5900.

Then there's pricing. I'm just a consumer who isn't amused at the thought of spending 50% more for the same relative performance. But I won't even consider purchasing when I can't tell what the hell is going on.

Comment

Working...
                X