Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R300 Gallium3D Driver Finally Wired Up For On-Disk Shader Cache

Phoronix: R300 Gallium3D Driver Finally Wired Up For On-Disk Shader Cache

Continuing on from the story a few days ago about R300 Gallium3D seeing a big performance fix after being regressed in recent years, another potential bonus is in store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This implements GLSL disk shader caching for the R300-R500 series of AMD GPUs.
    Probably more correct to say ATI GPUs there

Comment

Haha any chance of seeing benchmark results? Not sure how many people around here have one of these GPUs but it might be interesting to see anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Haha any chance of seeing benchmark results? Not sure how many people around here have one of these GPUs but it might be interesting to see anyway.
        Once I have enough room and time (and enough outlets, my room is severely lacking), I'll be happy to benchmark the ATI GPUs I had recently gotten (I'm pretty sure they are from the r100-600 ages, they are AGP GPUs, not enough time to properly check).
        Last edited by moriel5; 10 June 2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Probably more correct to say ATI GPUs there
          Yeah, I kept thinking about it after sending the patch… Oh, well. If it's serious enough to require a v2, I'll change it. 😅

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            That's the elephant in the room. I don't really have numbers yet. The machines I'm using are extremely limted (two laptops, one with a Turion X2 TL-60, 4 GiB of DDR2-SDRAM and a Radeon Xpress 200M, the other with a Turion64 MT-34, 2 GiB of DDR-SDRAM and a Mobility Radeon X1600), and I really haven't played any demanding games in over ten years.

Comment

I still own a machine with a ati x700 256 MB
              Nice to see some support for it..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                I still own a machine with a ati x700 256 MB
                Nice to see some support for it..
                For those wondering, it supports OpenGL 2.0 so it will run KDE or GNOME without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  For those wondering, it supports OpenGL 2.0 so it will run KDE or GNOME without issues.
                  And they (R300 to R500) even get away with announcing OpenGL 2.1 support by faking NPOT with POT textures (wasting some memory in the process, but still).

Comment

Originally posted by HyperDrive View Post
                    That's the elephant in the room. I don't really have numbers yet. The machines I'm using are extremely limted (two laptops, one with a Turion X2 TL-60, 4 GiB of DDR2-SDRAM and a Radeon Xpress 200M, the other with a Turion64 MT-34, 2 GiB of DDR-SDRAM and a Mobility Radeon X1600), and I really haven't played any demanding games in over ten years.
                    The X1600 is R200(m?, I forget whether it there is a mobile variant), which appears to be borked on new Ubuntu versions (I have an old ThinkPad with an X1900, and it defaults to SoftPipe, without working at all on R200, plus Mesa does not recognize R200 (at least the mobile variant, if there is one).

Comment

Working...
                    X