Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain why 8.12 still does not work under Ubuntu Intrepid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain why 8.12 still does not work under Ubuntu Intrepid?

The ATI script-built packages still do not function on a fresh install of Intrepid, on two different PCs for me.

Here's what I am doing:

I run the script with --buildpkg Ubuntu/intrepid.

I then install all of the created packages.

I then run sudo aticonfig -f --initial to create the default configuration.

I then check the xorg.conf file to verify that everything looks as it should.

Then I reboot... and after the Ubuntu splash screen, the display goes blank.

Then I beat my head against the wall for awhile.

The logs indicate everything is loading up as normal, though I notice that it is defaulting to XAA rendering and there are a long string of warnings toward the end indicating "AIGLX: 3D DRIVER CLAIMS NOT TO SUPPORT VISUAL 0x23" (and 0x24, 0x25, etc). At the very end of the log it says "AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch" but I think that's from me dropping to console using Ctrl-Alt-F1.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks if so!

Hello? Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance if so! I could really use a hand with this one, I'm at the end of my rope with it and would rather not have to switch to an Nvidia solution for this box!

Comment

I have had problems installing the 8.12 drivers on Ubuntu Intrepid as well. Currently on hold on trying to get it to install.

I have a HD3200 on the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard.

I tried the manual install method described here:

I had problems whit that I didn't have the ia32libs installed as I had the 64bit Intrepid. Had a clean install and they weren't installed this time around and I can't get them to install (the ia32libs). I get errors whit apt-get et.c. and I can't figure out what I need to do to get them installed.
      I've used these manual guides on all my FGLRX and Ubuntu installs with the 64bit versions and every each off them always said in the guide to make sure the ia32libs or similar where installed beforehand but with Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10 & 8.04 I never needed to install the ia12libs with just a fresh install as they seemingly already where there, I always just went straight to installing and didn't get errors as they worked right off the bat.
      But Ubuntu 8.10 isn't as easy to my dismay.

Comment

Porter, are you running the 32- or 64-bit version of Intrepid ?
        Test signature

Comment

Which gfx card do you use?

Comment

8.12 worked instantly for me on intrepid. better head over to ubuntuforums.org

Comment

Worked for me using Kano's script (64-bit Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, RadeonHD 4870). I haven't tried ATI's built-in package-building script, though.

Comment

So someone feel like pointing to the thread/link where they say how to get it to work? Going in detail on every task/point you need to do in each step?

questioneer I've checked around ubuntuforums.org but had no luck, the ones who got it working where 32bit users, didn't find anything about 64bit users. Seems people just use the 8.10 drivers mostly as well... (to much hassle to try the manual install it seems which you need to do to install the 8.12 ones)

Ostsol I read about the Kano scripts somewhere but I didn't get much sense off what I actually needed to do whit it(the people already seemingly knew and never described or talked about how they used the script,(like I was, if I copy the script.. what the heck next? how do I run it or whatever??)
                I'm not all to knowledgeable about scripts and the likes in linux/Ubuntu.

Comment

Well it would be good to know which gfx card you use first as serveral ppl reported issues with R300 cards. Basically for 8-12 it does not really matter if you use my script or create the packages using the installer, there is only a minor glitch in packageing which would not stop it from running.

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthog View Post
                    So someone feel like pointing to the thread/link where they say how to get it to work? Going in detail on every task/point you need to do in each step?

questioneer I've checked around ubuntuforums.org but had no luck, the ones who got it working where 32bit users, didn't find anything about 64bit users. Seems people just use the 8.10 drivers mostly as well... (to much hassle to try the manual install it seems which you need to do to install the 8.12 ones)
                    I got it working on 32bit and 64bit installations on my x1950. Just downloaded the latest driver, ran "./ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.10", installed the packages, ran 'aticonfig --initial' and rebooted.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X