Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Sends In 2nd Round Of AMDGPU Radeon Driver Updates For Linux 5.3 - No Navi Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    I can't tell for sure, but if I were to bet on it, I'd bet this is a Ubuntu problem, not a AMDGPU one.
    Well, I'm experiencing the instability under Arch Linux, with both the Arch-provided "stable" kernels and with kernels I compiled from amd-staging-drm-next myself. Also, reverting to very old kernels (4.13) allows for much longer uptimes between crashes than younger kernels, as does dc=0 - so I think it's pretty clearly an amdgpu problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

This assumption smacks squarely in the face of Su who said it's a new architecture from the ground up. Rumors get old real fast. That one has spread for weeks on end and even resurfaces now after she was adamant that it's a new architecture.
      It's a new microarchitecture (what most people mean when they say architecture), but it is still GCN ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
        so I think it's pretty clearly an amdgpu problem.
        You experience crashes, I do not. We both have been using AMDGPU with a number of kernels since 4.13 up until 5.x. The only clear thing is that there must be "something else" that you use and I do not use (which pretty much excludes AMDGPU) that renders your system unreliable. I've suggested it was Ubuntu, but it could be any other piece of software or hardware that is influenced by dc=0. Maybe you have a faulty RX480 for example...

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          ... it could be any other piece of software or hardware that is influenced by dc=0. Maybe you have a faulty RX480 for example...
          Even if there was such a highly improbable "subtle" hardware defect that was causing me (and many other people) to experience this kind of crashes (but only with newer Linux kernels, not with older, and - according to people dual booting their system also not under Windows), then the mere possibility of such a freak-bug (that no dealer will provide a refund on) would be reason enough to not consider an AMD GPU for my next system.

Comment

Working...
          X