Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.3 To Enable HDR Metadata Support For AMDGPU Driver

Phoronix: Linux 5.3 To Enable HDR Metadata Support For AMDGPU Driver

When it comes to HDR display support on Linux we've seen a lot of infrastructure work being pursued by the developers at NVIDIA going back a few years while more recently Intel's open-source developers have been on it too with Icelake Gen11 graphics supporting HDR. We haven't seen much publicly on the AMD Linux front but with the upcoming 5.3 kernel cycle one of their HDR DC patches will be merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good to see there's work going into HDR support. HDR displays still haven't quite caught on with Windows PCs yet. Maybe Linux won't be ten years behind in supporting it.

Comment

Will this "just work" in the future? I remember when 10bpc was added and 2160p suddenly wasn't possible on HDMI2 due to 4:4:0 rather than 4:2:0 - I'm still not sure what that entirely means

Comment

What about Nvidia HDR support?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          What about Nvidia HDR support?
          Work in (slow) progress for nouveau. HDMI2 is supported (where HW allows). 30bpp and fp16 scanout formats are supported (the latter will be in v5.3), LUTs/CTM are next, with HDR metadata coming in after that. Actually enabling >8bpc to the monitor will probably be last -- there are lots of wrinkles about what to select when (although it already happens over DP). Hopefully the other drivers will have that policy smoothed out by the time I get to it.

Comment

There is also DW HDMI HDR support in the pipeline. This controller is used on Amlogic, Allwinner, Rockchip and other SoCs.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Work in (slow) progress for nouveau. HDMI2 is supported (where HW allows). 30bpp and fp16 scanout formats are supported (the latter will be in v5.3), LUTs/CTM are next, with HDR metadata coming in after that. Actually enabling >8bpc to the monitor will probably be last -- there are lots of wrinkles about what to select when (although it already happens over DP). Hopefully the other drivers will have that policy smoothed out by the time I get to it.
              And what about their drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Will this "just work" in the future? I remember when 10bpc was added and 2160p suddenly wasn't possible on HDMI2 due to 4:4:0 rather than 4:2:0 - I'm still not sure what that entirely means
                It's about tuning your guitar and getting high.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Chroma Subsampling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

And you are probably thinking about 4:4:4 vs 4:2:0 and not 4:4:0 vs 4:2:0 since 4:4:4 at 2160p requires far more bandwidth at 60Hz than HDMI2 can handle.
                  Last edited by F.Ultra; 05 June 2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                    since 4:4:4 at 2160p requires far more bandwidth at 60Hz than HDMI2 can handle.
                    Where did you get that? HDMI2 supports 2160p@60Hz with YUV4:4:4 or RGB using 594 MHz base clock and few other tricks like scrambling to lower possibility of data corruptions during transfer. I have cheap ARM board which supports that. Even wiki says it's supported (note 24 bits per pixel).

Comment

Working...
                    X