Mesa 19.2 R600 Gallium3D Can Advertise OpenGL 4.5 With Select GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 19.2 R600 Gallium3D Can Advertise OpenGL 4.5 With Select GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa 19.2 R600 Gallium3D Can Advertise OpenGL 4.5 With Select GPUs

A change merged to Mesa 19.2 last month has the R600 Gallium3D driver officially advertising OpenGL 4.5 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And now

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

GL_ARB_indirect_parameters
    GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters
    GL_ARB_shader_group_vote
    and
    GL_ARB_transform_feedback_overflow_query

are on the way

I believe it will become done sooner then ARB_gl_spirv
    OpenGL 4.6 / SPIR-V Support Might Be Inching Closer For Mesa Drivers
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and I am nearly sure that it become reality before

GL_ARB_spirv_extensions

Here's to hoping the Intel and RadeonSI drivers can reach OpenGL 4.6 in mainline Mesa prior to the two year anniversary on 31 July... This would put the open-source OpenGL 4.6 driver support for the Mesa 19.2 release due out in late August.

Comment

Several other extensions will be marked as enabled once the following patch gets approved and committed:

Comment

What's for sure is that Linux now supports this hardware much better than Windows. The latest windows driver for these cards are from 2015 and are unstable with Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Madgemade View Post
          What's for sure is that Linux now supports this hardware much better than Windows. The latest windows driver for these cards are from 2015 and are unstable with Windows 10.
          Aye, I also migrated my laptop due to this driver mess on Windows 10 (even the Sandy Bridge iGPU is better supported on Linux). One of the last Windows versions also broke DirectX 11 support completly. Is Microsoft trying to get us to throw away our systems? I hope that we will see even better working OpenCL with all the R600-NIR and Clover-over-NIR work, a litte more performance tuning would be also greatly appreciated. Unfortunately we miss all the Vulkan fun with our hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Madgemade View Post
            To be honest my old HD5850 is more stable than on opensource driver in my opinion. For example on opensource driver my fan working at 100% speed and causes a nightmare noise like a vacuum cleaner from five decades ago. This is only on opensource. When I install old buggy and unmaintained anymore fglrx driver then my issues gone. Same on Windows - fan speed issues gone.
            This is know issue on r600 but no one want to fix it. Buying new GPU is solution but what If my current GPU is enough for me? I dont play in games much, well tbh Dying Light with proprietary drivers last time working with medium settings in 1680x1050 at 35+FPS. So not that bad. Also many games like Metro Redux and etc working with fine frame rates on fglrx but when I switch to opensource - not launch or working with very very bad FPS.
            So in my opinion support for older (pre GCN) gpu is very bad. Even if Mesa for r600 reach OpenGL 4.5 it will still be bugged and not giving the right performance.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the driver only advertises gl4.3 due to not passing conformance, also these are just docs updates, nobody has touched the code

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

To be honest my old HD5850 is more stable than on opensource driver in my opinion. For example on opensource driver my fan working at 100% speed and causes a nightmare noise like a vacuum cleaner from five decades ago. This is only on opensource. When I install old buggy and unmaintained anymore fglrx driver then my issues gone. Same on Windows - fan speed issues gone.
                This is know issue on r600 but no one want to fix it. Buying new GPU is solution but what If my current GPU is enough for me? I dont play in games much, well tbh Dying Light with proprietary drivers last time working with medium settings in 1680x1050 at 35+FPS. So not that bad. Also many games like Metro Redux and etc working with fine frame rates on fglrx but when I switch to opensource - not launch or working with very very bad FPS.
                So in my opinion support for older (pre GCN) gpu is very bad. Even if Mesa for r600 reach OpenGL 4.5 it will still be bugged and not giving the right performance.
                What distro are you using that still supports FGLRX?!? Support for that driver was broken in Ubuntu 16.04, back in 2016! Try a recent distro and see if your card does better with non-ancient open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

What distro are you using that still supports FGLRX?!? Support for that driver was broken in Ubuntu 16.04, back in 2016! Try a recent distro and see if your card does better with non-ancient open drivers.
                  Are you serious? Do you really think that despite such problems, I would not try a new distro?
                  Ok, I tried from Ubuntu 16.04 up to latest 19.04. Every version. Trying Arch, Manjaro, Fedora (every version), also few more like OpenSUSE. No matter distro, radeon drm lack of code and no one want implement it for pre gcn cards.
                  BTW. you can still install old fglrx on new distro if you compile old xserver and apply patch for recent kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Are you serious? Do you really think that despite such problems, I would not try a new distro?
                    Ok, I tried from Ubuntu 16.04 up to latest 19.04. Every version. Trying Arch, Manjaro, Fedora (every version), also few more like OpenSUSE. No matter distro, radeon drm lack of code and no one want implement it for pre gcn cards.
                    BTW. you can still install old fglrx on new distro if you compile old xserver and apply patch for recent kernels.
                    Readying my message again, I sounded pretty grumpy, sorry about that, not my intention. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X