Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDVLK Still Has Some Performance Advantages Over Mesa's Radeon RADV Vulkan Driver, But It's A Good Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RADV is one of the best graphic drivers I've ever used, quality always was high. Even if AMDVLK would be faster, I would prefer RADV any day, but very nice that it is mostly on par with AMDVLK and often delivers higher min. frames too :-)

Comment

Weird to see tests at 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080.
      I thought I was the only one left on earth with a 1920x1200 monitor (I love it so much)

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        Weird to see tests at 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080.
        I thought I was the only one left on earth with a 1920x1200 monitor (I love it so much)
        An initial oversight on my part when building the suite and eyes failing to accidentally selecting x1200 rather than x1080, so enjoy.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thats what I am saying, AMDVLk is kicking RADV butt lately, in some games, especially the more Vulkan and recent ones^^

Comment

The article title here is a bit misleading, IMHO...looking at the data:
            • DiRT Rally 2.0
              • RADV is faster (or they are equal)
            • Dota 2
              • RADV is faster
            • Mad Max
              • RADV is faster in 7 out of 8 cases, and almost identical in the remaining one
            • A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
              • RADV is faster (or they are equal)
            • Total War: WARHAMMER II
              • RADV is faster
            • HITMAN 2
              • AMDVLK is faster
            • Rise of the Tomb Raider
              • AMDVLK is faster
            • Strange Brigade
              • AMDVLK is faster
            So in 5 out of 8 games you tested, RADV is faster than AMDVLK. In 3 of 8 games, AMDVLK is clearly faster. This may be a good fight, but it's pretty clear to me that RADV is the winner here.

By switching to AMDVLK, I could obtain 3-12 FPS in a few games which are already over 60, which as a gamer, I am unlikely to be able to perceive. But this means switching from a true open source driver which is developed publicly by Red Hat, Google, Valve, Feral Interactive, AMD, and many individuals to a driver developed internally at a single company, with source dumped over a wall periodically. I would not consider switching to AMDVLK for such minor gains (especially when it also comes with minor losses).
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

(...)

By switching to AMDVLK, I could obtain 3-12 FPS in a few games (...) [but] it also comes with minor losses
              Not only that, but also the MIN FPS is generally much better for RADV, which is a big plus for RADV of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                First image of this phoronix article.
                Please use quoting so I know who are you talking to.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  Still rocking on Asus VW266h 1920x1200 monitor.

Comment

Dear Sir...

I bought three radeon7s so this article is great.

But seriously, Please could you add a 380 or rx580 : some realistic card that I can buy.

Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                      Michael isn't shy about click-baiting.

Comment

Working...
                      X