• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Choice.
    Yup, choice. And I choose to stay here, I've been hooked. And since
    I'm already here I decided to dump the current state of my feelings
    registers, before I get too comfortable to be considered a typical
    Microsoft product user ("Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson?").

I hope there's no hard feelings - I know some of you guys and girls
    are really doing your best. Think of it as a form of "Come on, you're
    the best - now act like it, damnit!". In the meantime I'll be working
    on my degree and find a way or two to help. Just... throw us something
    here and there to keep us excited

Comment

>>> XvMC is a bit hit and miss on the Via chipsets as to
      >>> whether the drivers support it or not. It is being
      >>> actively worked on for the openChrome drivers...
      >>
      >> Is there a chart somewhere showing which features
      >> openChrome supports on which Via chips? Perhaps similar to
      >>
      >> http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
      >
      > Not that I am aware off...
      >
      > Though that might be something I could manage to arrange if
      > the openchrome devs don't kill me for all my questions...

Where should I watch for this? On the x.org wiki?

BTW, ATI should create charts for the Rage and Fire* families.

Comment

According to this news : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzAwNA, there seems to be work to accelerate video directly in Gallium3D.
        Wouldn't that make kind of obsolete any XVMC or equivalent development? Wouldn't it be a more interesting way to help developping these features and make sure they work well with ATI?

Comment

Actually, that's an implementation of XvMC. The API is still important.

However, that ought to work on ATI cards once there is a working Gallium driver. The downside however, is that it won't be as low-power or fast as using the hardware decoders.

Comment

So far I think the implementation only covers MC (the XvMC API covers MC-only or IDCT+MC).

For GPUs with dedicated IDCT hardware it may turn out to be easier to integrate the IDCT and MC processing with a native XvMC implementation. Most of the Radeon family parts have some additional logic to coordinate IDCT (on dedicated HW) and MC (on shaders) processing, but I don't think that would work if the MC part were being done through Gallium.
            Test signature

Comment

it seems that XvMC and UVD is getting left far behind as devs work daily on all the other non UVD ASIC hardware/APIs, realisticly, is it simply to late for them now?, do any ATI coders care about UVD API anymore?, and if so what timelines can we expect some working usable code ?, a simple ? frame accurate FFMPEG patch seems to be all thats required to get at least some interest from 3rd partys, but perhaps im missing something fundimental and need it spelling out , no docs (for months to come), no interest, seems to be the basic problem here.

" Gwenol? Beauchesne gbeauchesne at ......com
              Thu Jan 29 17:01:18 CET 2009

Previous message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] h264.c: space fix
              Next message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH][0/8] VA API patches summary
              Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

The upcoming patches add VA API support to FFmpeg. They rely on libVA
              changes that are not upstream yet, though the maintainer agreed to
              integrate them for a future release. Those changes are actually
              extensions (new fields) to suit the needs of XvBA and VDPAU backends.
              You can get the current libVA patchset here: .....

VA API currently covers the following codecs:
              - MPEG-2
              - MPEG-4
              - H.263 (MPEG-4 part-2 short video header format)
              - H.264
              - VC-1

Regards,
              Gwenole.
              "
              Last edited by popper; 30 January 2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                no docs (for months to come), no interest, seems to be the basic problem here.
                Docs required for XvMC on 5xx and earlier have been out for almost a year; docs and sample code for 6xx/7xx are out now.

I don't think it's so much lack of interest as much as higher priorities in the short term; our devs are working on 3D and (hopefully soon) power management; the main community devs are working on kernel modesetting, memory management and Gallium3D.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I was playing MPEG2 fine even on my old Pentium 2 400MHz! That's not a "modern" CPU by any stretch of the imagination. People are interested about MPEG4 formats and think MC is going to help them.
                  are you sure it was on linux and not windows ?
                  because even right now, I can't play a DVD or a DVB stream on a powerpc G4 400mhz or a celeron coppermine 700mhz.

Comment

Perhaps you don't have the right accel? XV should be quite enough.
                    Vesa+vidix should be even lighter, that's what geexbox used to use, and it played dvd's and dvd-res divx/xvid just fine on my P2 333Mhz.

(It's Mplayer, the comp in question has a Rage Pro Agp 2x, and 192mb ram)

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Perhaps you don't have the right accel? XV should be quite enough.
                      Vesa+vidix should be even lighter, that's what geexbox used to use, and it played dvd's and dvd-res divx/xvid just fine on my P2 333Mhz.

(It's Mplayer, the comp in question has a Rage Pro Agp 2x, and 192mb ram)
                      In my experience, playing back a 720x480 MPEG-2 file using Xv takes something like a 500 MHz CPU to accomplish. My old HTPC setup consisted of a 900 MHz Celeron Coppermine and an NVIDIA 6200 PCI and it took roughly 50% of the CPU to play back 720x480 MPEG-2 files using Xv. If you use XvMC, you could probably get by with a 300 MHz PII or K6.

H.264/MPEG-4 or HD resolution video is a much different matter. You need something close to 1 GHz to play back 720x480 MPEG-4/H.264 files smoothly using Xv or 1080 MPEG-2 HDTV with XvMC. It's more like 1.4-1.8 GHz to do 1080 MPEG-2 HDTV with Xv and a 3 GHz Core 2 or Phenom to do 1080 H.264/MPEG-4 HDTV using Xv. I've only ever used one machine personally that can play back 1080p H.264 smoothly using Xvideo and that was a 2.8 GHz Phenom II X4 920 and even then one core was just about pegged doing the decode.

Comment

Working...
                      X