• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also gave it a little go in Hitman 2 (Hitman 1 Sapienza level):
    It's about 8% faster than radv in that static scene:

radv: 56.5fps

amdvlk: 60.1fps

Mostly max. details, 16xAF and prerenderlimit 1 forced via DXVK.

Comment

What would be the advice regarding laptops? The Sandybridge one I've been using since 2012 needs replacing, and I was holding out waiting for decent Picasso laptops (3500u preferably).

However, this AMDVLK approach makes doubt about the actual Linux support we get from AMD. I don't want to track and install these "open source" code dumps, and it seems we need to rely on third parties (the community) for RADV. Even though I won't be gaming, I want to know I will be getting proper support.

Knowing this, I'm considering going the intel route again, which I was trying to avoid. Mind you, I really want to get one with AMD, I just don't want the headaches that might come with, I actually need the laptop for work.

Perhaps shmerl has a relevant opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        What would be the advice regarding laptops? The Sandybridge one I've been using since 2012 needs replacing, and I was holding out waiting for decent Picasso laptops (3500u preferably).

However, this AMDVLK approach makes doubt about the actual Linux support we get from AMD. I don't want to track and install these "open source" code dumps, and it seems we need to rely on third parties (the community) for RADV. Even though I won't be gaming, I want to know I will be getting proper support.

Knowing this, I'm considering going the intel route again, which I was trying to avoid. Mind you, I really want to get one with AMD, I just don't want the headaches that might come with, I actually need the laptop for work.

Perhaps shmerl has a relevant opinion?
        Mesa should work with AMD APUs, though support is more delayed in comparison with desktop use case. Avoid first generation Ryzens though, they have bad hardware bugs. Laptops with second generation Ryzens are already available.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Mesa should work with AMD APUs, though support is more delayed in comparison with desktop use case. Avoid first generation Ryzens though, they have bad hardware bugs. Laptops with second generation Ryzens are already available.
          Thanks. Indeed, I'm avoiding 1st gen Ryzen APUs. I'm waiting to see the price of the Thinkpad T495 (to be released soon).

Any good offerings you are aware of? (That play well with Linux of course).

Comment

Thanks. Indeed, I'm avoiding 1st gen Ryzen APUs. I'm waiting to see the price of the Thinkpad T495 (to be released soon).

Any good offerings you are aware of? (That play well with Linux of course).
            I was thinking about Thinkpad T495 as well. Since looks like it has the best design.
            Last edited by shmerl; 27 May 2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I was thinking about Thinkpad T495 as well. Since like the best design.
              Thanks, appreciated!

Comment

amdvlk has driver hacks for pretty much every vulkan game ever released...
                Vulkan API Layer. Contribute to GPUOpen-Drivers/xgl development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Thanks, appreciated!
                  Be aware of such issues though before buying: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa.../td-p/4191484/

Not sure if that will affect T495, but Lenovo has a bad reputation with not fixing them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
                    amdvlk has driver hacks for pretty much every vulkan game ever released...
                    https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/x...pp_profile.cpp
                    Heh, they hardcode that stuff in the C++ code? Sounds like a bad idea, instead of exposing needed knobs in the config.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      Also gave it a little go in Hitman 2 (Hitman 1 Sapienza level):
                      It's about 8% faster than radv in that static scene:

radv: 56.5fps

amdvlk: 60.1fps

Mostly max. details, 16xAF and prerenderlimit 1 forced via DXVK.
                      Finally managed to have the time to play it today and it didn't lag or stutter at all in the same spot it was yesterday in Marrakesh around all the protesters. While I didn't run a HUD or anything to know my in-game FPS, I can't tell the difference between playing it today with AMDVLK and playing it yesterday with RADV. Odd how the benchmark is consistently down yet my in-game experience is so much better...but I'm gonna assume that Saturday I synced the repo at a bad time when all the ducks might not have been in a row...

Does the prerenderlimit 1 help?

Comment

Working...
                      X