AMDVLK 2019.Q2.4 Brings Steam Play Game Fixes, New Vulkan Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Be aware of such issues though before buying: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa.../td-p/4191484/

Not sure if that will affect T495, but Lenovo has a bad reputation with not fixing them at all.
    Yeah, so (as with any laptop really) I'll have to wait for release, and then some time to spot reviews and/or complaints in the forums. That means I guess something like 3 months from now (assuming it's released in June). I don't think I can wait that long (my current laptop is really getting shitty).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Does the prerenderlimit 1 help?
      Yeah, it reduces input latency and often also frametime variance, at the cost of usually barely any performance. The AMD DX11 Windows driver does that by default, and since Mesa 19.1 also Gallium drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Odd how the benchmark is consistently down yet my in-game experience is so much better...but I'm gonna assume that Saturday I synced the repo at a bad time when all the ducks might not have been in a row...
        It's probable that the previous release had some coding tricks that speed up peak fps, but during some edge cases caused processing/latency spikes resulting in fps jitters.

So, the latest release probably added some checks for these kinds of situations, checks that are a bit costly resulting in reduced peak, but greatly helps in smoothing performance across the board, ultimately removing the spikes and jitters.

Comment

Ok, so I found two possible bugs that AMDVLK has on Hitman 2 that RADV doesn't -- when the security/guards/etc throw a flashbang the game drops to 2 fps while parts of the game engine still run at full speed, really weird and exploitable*...decided to play with DXVK_HUD=1 to see what I was actually using in-game...If you only go for Silent Assassin and restart/reload when the green icon turns red you'd never know about this bug.

The second one was I changed the shadow settings from Ultra to High mid-game next to the Marrakesh protesters which somehow managed to trigger the slowdowns and whatnot I was experiencing Sunday. FPS went from 55/60 in the area I was in down to 23/24 with animation bugs. Changing it back to Ultra instantly fixed it.

Other that those, both RADV and AMDVLK were reporting around the same FPS in the same areas of the level. 30/35 in the crowded areas and 50/60 damn-near
          everywhere else.

I also tried out prerenderlimit 1 and it did make a noticeable difference for both Vulkan implementations. Not faster, but more smooth and seemed to fix some of the microstutters I see in the Miami benchmark...both lost 1 whole FPS with prerenderlimit 1...but the game plays better...take that FWIW...

*exploitable in that you'll be healed by the time the flashbang bug is up

Comment

Originally posted by pepoluan View Post
            It's probable that the previous release had some coding tricks that speed up peak fps, but during some edge cases caused processing/latency spikes resulting in fps jitters.

So, the latest release probably added some checks for these kinds of situations, checks that are a bit costly resulting in reduced peak, but greatly helps in smoothing performance across the board, ultimately removing the spikes and jitters.
            That's probably exactly what it is.

Like how enabling "prerenderlimit 1" (via dxvk.conf) loses 1 fps on my benchmarks but the overall game is better since there aren't anywhere near as many microstutters (with both AMDVLK and RADV).

Comment

Be aware of such issues though before buying: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa.../td-p/4191484/

Not sure if that will affect T495, but Lenovo has a bad reputation with not fixing them at all.
              Well, the T495 is out (at least where I live). I now realize that it has soldered RAM (1 free SODIMM slot as well) and soldered wifi *facepalm*

Not sure that this is what I want. :/

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Well, the T495 is out (at least where I live). I now realize that it has soldered RAM (1 free SODIMM slot as well) and soldered wifi *facepalm*

Not sure that this is what I want. :/
                Soldered? That's horrible. You can't even extend the amount of RAM then?

Comment

Soldered? That's horrible. You can't even extend the amount of RAM then?
                  You get some amount on board (soldered), and then you have 1 additional slot, so you can upgrade only some of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X