AMDVLK 2019.Q2.4 Brings Steam Play Game Fixes, New Vulkan Extensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2019.Q2.4 Brings Steam Play Game Fixes, New Vulkan Extensions

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2019.Q2.4 Brings Steam Play Game Fixes, New Vulkan Extensions

For open-source fans, adding to AMD's exciting day also happens to be a new AMDVLK open-source Vulkan driver update...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...19.Q2.4-Driver

Good stuff, thanks AMD!

Comment

Great info! Last time I use AMDVLK and RADV 50/50.

Comment

Now I gotta try out Hitman 2 with AMDVLK today and see if this updated version likes it maxed out as well as RADV does. New driver drops are always fun.

Comment

Reduce optimizations run by llpc
          I wonder what they mean with that exactly...

Comment

if you install AMDVLK alongside RADV. What command should you pass for a game to detect AMDVLK? LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/somevulkanlib.so ??

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
              I wonder what they mean with that exactly...
              Hopefully it means they've found ways of running some of the passes once rather than multiple times - I'm basing that on some of the chances I've seen to NIR passes in Mesa - but it is complete conjecture

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Spektor View Post
                if you install AMDVLK alongside RADV. What command should you pass for a game to detect AMDVLK? LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/somevulkanlib.so ??
                VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Spektor View Post
                  Just in case you need the 32-bit versions, (run Arch/Manjaro and) you have installed AMDVLK from AMDGPU-Pro, or set it globally and need to get back to RADV.

Code:
                  # AMDVLK
                  #export VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json
                   amd_icd32.json

# AMDVLK-Pro
                  #export VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/opt/amdgpu-pro/etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json
                    amd_icd32.json

# RADV
                  #export VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json
                   radeon_icd.i686.json
                  With Steam you can use the following to set which one you want to use on a per-game basis in the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS:
                  Code:
                  VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json %command%
                  Here's my current one for Hitman 2
                  Code:
                  VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json DXVK_ASYNC=1 gamemoderun %command%
                  It's also available as a selection in Lutris...though if you have both AMDVLK and AMDVLK-Pro installed you can't really tell which one you're selecting since it just lists both "amd_icd64.json" & "amd_icd32.json" twice...
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 05-27-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

OK, finally got around to benchmarking Hitman 2 with this AMDVLK release with all maxed out settings, no motion blur: I lost .45 fps consistently from Satruday's AMDVLK update, getting 35.55fps average at the end. 4 benchmarks, the last two were 35.55, the second one was 35.5, and the first was 33fps.

Thinking maybe it was a wine-staging regression, since I updated it from 4.9r1 to 4.9r3, I decided to test out RADV. RADV gained 1.04 fps from yesterday to 37.04 fps for two in a row...should add that I was getting 37.1 fps with my mixed high settings with 4.7r1-12 & RADV. One of the RADV benchmarks had the highest averages I've ever had, even higher than my mixed high settings have ever reported -- 37.44 fps. RADV went 35.5 on run 1, 37.44 on 2, 37.04 on runs 3 & 4.

With RADV being consistently better than my benchmarks from yesterday, I don't think I can't blame the lowered AMDVLK results on Wine-Staging.

Really damn cool that in one month I've been able to go from High to Ultra settings and not lose FPS.

Note: if I had ran RADV first, it would have the 33 fps result and AMDVLK's results would be similar to RADV with a hair less on the averages.

Note 2: I didn't play any in-game, but based on the slight stutter in the AMDVLK benchmarks today and yesterday, I'll just assume it'll have the same results in-game as yesterday -- playable maxed out, but very barely; needs settings reduced and I don't know which ones. RADV plays great in game maxed out, no motion sickness enabled...well, y'all might call it no motion blur enabled...

EDIT
                    Just Ignore that Note 2. I found the time to actually play it and it was great. Couldn't tell the difference between AMDVLK today and RADV yesterday and I used the same settings & same save from the same part in Marrakesh where it was damn-near unusable in-game with my AMDVLK build from Saturday's api update commit. In other words, this update is great.
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 05-27-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X