No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Try it but i think i have make something wrong.

if i try to move window the cpu usage grows up to 100% and the Video Playback give only a Black field.

glxinfo

xvinfo

Xorg.0.log

xorg.conf

PS: smt is Spamming in the xorg.log he is about 31 MB o_O with stuff like this Klick

NOTE: I use a Radeon HD 3850 with Ubuntu 8.10
    Last edited by Nille; 30 December 2008, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Although I'm more interested in r300-r500 things (I have an rs690) I'm all happy for those who own r6xx r7xx ... I can still remember when I had to wait for support for my card and struggling with fglcrapx... It wasn't that long wait though (only about half year).

It's a good moment to wish all the devs and team involved with AMD open source strategy/initiative a happy new year May your wishes/dreams be fullfiled in 2009

Comment

Hey...if somehow my terrorist complaints on this forum about AMD was helpful to make them work faster, yeah! I'll continue then!!

Nah, I can officially say thanks to AMD and I'll for sure start year 2009 with a smile on my face when I look at my ATI 2600Xt card.

Well, good job then to all developers of these open source drivers and I'll hope one day you can give a lesson to NVIDIA and make them understand no one wants blob drivers, even if somehow they work well.

Good year to all, including you Bridgman and Michael which of course today is really happy I guess we are all happy

Comment

Good job AMD, Thats y I chose my radeon over nvidia offerings :up:

Now bring Deneb

Comment

Thanks AMD/bridgman!

Will be buying a new AMD mainboard and graphics card to support you!

edit: bought a HD 4550 to start with!
            Last edited by disturbedsaint; 30 December 2008, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Is there a place we can easily donate to development of these drivers?

Or do any of the teams involved have some sort of booze fund? Wouldn't want to distract you from your efforts, but wouldn't mind showing my appreciation either

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                I'll hope one day you can give a lesson to NVIDIA and make them understand no one wants blob drivers, even if somehow they work well.
                Not to look far away even on this forum there are many people who would take nvidia blob over any other open solution.

But I hope a day comes when open drivers will be better then the blob in almost every aspect... then nvidia may learn that lesson. Right now they are the best so obviusly they do not see any reason to open up, or see things from different perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  There hasn't been much interest in XvMC so far -- general feeling seems to be that even a laptop CPU can handle MPEG2 decoding well enough. There seem to be an increasing number of HD MPEG2 use cases, and we have already released enough information to implement MC on 5xx (and, as of today, 6xx/7xx I guess) but nobody has even asked how to implement it, which surprises me. We have IDCT on the list of hardware to try and open up, but given the lack of interest in MC it doesn't seem like a real priority (MC eats more CPU time than IDCT and is probably easier to implement).

If the issue is simply that not enough developers know how to implement XvMC then we could probably put together a sample implementation to get things started, but nobody seems to even ask about XvMC let alone show any interest in implementing it. I guess the issue is that the only place XvMC really buys you much these days is playing HD resolution MPEG2 streams, typically from off-the-air HDTV (ATSC, DVB), and not many people seem to do that.

EDIT -- I might have found the answer. The "classic use case" for XvMC was European digital TV, which was heavily standardized on MPEG2 at HD resolutions. Looks like many countries have already jumped ship to MPEG4 for most of their HD broadcasts, so the demand for HD MPEG2 acceleration seems to have evaporated. Given that, I think interest in XvMC is going to continue to be lukewarm until there is some agreement on an API which cleanly handles H.264 and VC-1 as well, whether it be an XvMC extension or something new like VAAPI, XVBA or VDPAU.
                  Congrats on finaly showing of the docs.

I'm sure in a few years the driver could be very useful. (No sarcarms intended.)

I like to highlight the need for supporting the XvMC API.

1. Did you forget what codec that's in DVD ? -> Mpeg2
                  2. Did you forget that most legacy cam recorders record in Mpeg2 ?
                  3. Did you forget that many applications such as Mythtv, Xine, Mplayer etc have good and useful support for this API ?

I also like to pinpoint that bulding an HTPC mediacenter based on ATI cards are terrible ? I worked with it for an hole year with an ATI2600 card and after picking up an used Nvidia 6600 I got an hole new life.

But yes, I'm in Euro and while there are a few Channels having an H.264 streams in the ts, most are still Mpeg2.

But yeah, I welcome something like VDPAU for ATI cards, but there are to many bugs with the curent closed driver and mythtv that should be fixed first.

Cheers and thanks for the hard work.

I might swap my Nvidia card when you catch up with them

Comment

Originally posted by Uber View Post
                    1. Did you forget what codec that's in DVD ? -> Mpeg2
                    2. Did you forget that most legacy cam recorders record in Mpeg2 ?
                    3. Did you forget that many applications such as Mythtv, Xine, Mplayer etc have good and useful support for this API ?
                    Did you forget that any CPU, even an old Pentium 2, can handle that? :P Even on Windows, where the drivers support everything, MPEG2 acceleration is not used by most people because it's totally unnecessary. They prefer software decoding due to the software being able to enhance the picture that way.

Comment

Thanks AMD. You did what you promised, and in an OK timeframe. Expected nothing less.

Some days ago I bought an r500 card, because I have the choice of drivers. If that choice is soon brought to the newer cards, might get one of those too.

Booze fund, heh

Comment

Working...
                      X