AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    workstation is pretty much entirely a closed-source business because of the extremely high performance expectations.
    That explains why they're running Linux along with a crapload of open source GNU software. Yeah, closed source ftw

Comment

Yeah

It's probably obvious but when I said "high performance expectations" I was talking about the graphics subsystem where the drivers are hugely complex and proprietary drivers still have an edge.

Seriously, I think a lot of the Linux workstation users are there not because GNU/Linux is "free like speech", but rather because the "free like beer" aspect of GNU/Linux killed off most of the commercial Unix vendors so they shifted to Linux instead. Most of the workstation market is running RHEL or SLED/SLES for the commercial support so for them it's "just like Unix" and software freedom just gives them something interesting to read about on the internet.

On the other hand, those users (and the commercial Unix vendors) also drove a good chunk of the $$ investment in Linux graphics over the last 10 years, so be nice to them
      Last edited by bridgman; 30 December 2008, 07:06 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        How do you explain that few years ago people was repeating same myth about 1%? Linux is growing faster than before, so it's strange.
        Easy, and it's not at all strange. Linux may be growing -- I see no substantiation of this oft-quoted folklore -- but even if it is, it's not growing as fast as the total number of computers in use. Ergo, market share stays where it's been for the last several years, fairly constant at just under 1%.

I'm finished with this. If you come up with some real data as opposed to wishful thinking, start a new topic.

Comment

Seriously, I think a lot of the Linux workstation users are there not because GNU/Linux is "free like speech", but rather because the "free like beer" aspect of GNU/Linux killed off most of the commercial Unix vendors so they shifted to Linux instead. Most of the workstation market is running RHEL or SLED/SLES for the commercial support so for them it's "just like Unix" and software freedom just gives them something interesting to read about on the internet.
          I think it's more than that. We all tend to forget a bit what "open" means. It mainly means that those corporations have access to the source and that brings some benefits, like being able to adapt the code or pay someone to adapt it (or fix it) to their needs. The romantic part of "open" is nice to read about, but we mostly care about the practical benefits. It would be nice if I could fix or pay someone to fix fglrx for me, no?

Comment

Besides performance improvements, there is a old problem who persists on R500 radeon driver.

I'm using a x1600pro, with the latest radeon package on Jaunty Alpha 2.

Xorg.conf Settings:

Section "Device"
            Identifier "Configured Video Device"
            Option "AGPMode" "8"
            Option "EXAVSync" "1"
            EndSection

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

(==) RADEON(0): Using EXA acceleration architecture
            (==) RADEON(0): Not using accelerated EXA DownloadFromScreen hook
            (II) RADEON(0): Setting EXA maxPitchBytes
            (II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 116195328 bytes
            (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
            (WW) RADEON(0): Option "EXAVSync" is not used

This picture is not from my PC.

I couldn't screenshot it, but I've found this picture taken but a Windows user at guru3d that shows exactly what happens with my hardware.

So, It will (When will) be possible to get rid off this horizontal line?

KMS, GEM, DRI2 or Gallium3?

Anyone?

Thanks for reading

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code
              Any chance AMD will spread the wealth eventually and provide the same sanitized support for their Imageon processors?

It's kinda dirty that AMD can on one hand provide open-source support on the PC, but then completely deny the existence and documentation of their Imageon GPUs still shipping in new phone devices including Android and Windows Mobile. Makes this release look more like a PR stunt than a real, internal, culture shift.

Maybe AMD really doesn't care about the embedded market, nor that the victor is solidifying around PowerVR with their much more generous documentation and support.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                Besides performance improvements, there is a old problem who persists on R500 radeon driver.

Xorg.conf Settings:

Section "Device"
                Identifier "Configured Video Device"
                Option "AGPMode" "8"
                Option "EXAVSync" "1"
                EndSection

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This picture is not from my PC.

I couldn't screenshot it, but I've found this picture taken but a Windows user at guru3d that shows exactly what happens with my hardware.

KMS, GEM, DRI2 or Gallium3?

Anyone?

Thanks for reading

Your not alone, I have exactly the same tearing. In addition to that I cant switch VT's. The light on the monitor turns amber, and I lose the connection to the monitor.

Comment

<snip>

<snip>

Based on the error message, I expect the radeon code in the latest package might not be new enough. Can you get a date or commit number from your log ? The tear-free code only went in a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by NuShrike View Post
                  Any chance AMD will spread the wealth eventually and provide the same sanitized support for their Imageon processors?

It's kinda dirty that AMD can on one hand provide open-source support on the PC, but then completely deny the existence and documentation of their Imageon GPUs still shipping in new phone devices including Android and Windows Mobile. Makes this release look more like a PR stunt than a real, internal, culture shift.

Maybe AMD really doesn't care about the embedded market, nor that the victor is solidifying around PowerVR with their much more generous documentation and support.
                  NuShrike, as I mentioned before AMD have announced plans to sell the Imageon division. I have asked internally about the possibility of providing open source support for the handheld products, but I don't think that is likely to happen until new owners have a chance to participate in the decision.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 30 December 2008, 08:20 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

that's called tearing. It should be gone for most users with the latest driver from ati git or the 6.9.0.91 rc release.

Looks like your driver is too old.

Comment

Based on the error message, I expect the radeon code in the latest package might not be new enough. Can you get a date or commit number from your log ? The tear-free code only went in a couple of weeks ago.
                      X.Org X Server 1.5.99.3
                      Release Date: (unreleased)
                      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
                      Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-15-server x86_64 Ubuntu
                      Current Operating System: Linux jaunty-desktop 2.6.28-4-generic #5-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 26 22:48:55 UTC 2008 x86_64
                      Build Date: 17 December 2008 03:13:46AM
                      xorg-server 2:1.5.99.3-0ubuntu3 ([email protected])
                      ______

apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-radeon
                      xserver-xorg-video-radeon:
                      Instalado: 1:6.9.0+git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu6
                      Candidato: 1:6.9.0+git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu6
                      Tabela de vers?o:
                      *** 1:6.9.0+git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu6 0
                      500 http://ftp.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
                      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                      ________

full log: http://pastebin.com/m13b7c9c7