No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you everyone for working towards a better ATI/AMD tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
      On the bright side, my FireGL V5200 can play 'bluray bitrate' 1080p smoothly on a aging 2GHz C2D T7200, something I couldn't do in either XP32, XP64, V32 or V64, so they are doing something right...
      Now I'm felling envy.

I can't play under any circumstances 1080p (even with less bitrates) with my AGP x1600pro + Pentium D

Full 720p is kind of problematic with some actions scenes (explosions) where are too much decoding on the scene background.

But, is it improving...

Comment

For video playback, I'd recommend the radeon xorg driver

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
        On the bright side, my FireGL V5200 can play 'bluray bitrate' 1080p smoothly on a aging 2GHz C2D T7200, something I couldn't do in either XP32, XP64, V32 or V64, so they are doing something right...
        The radeon xorg driver has at least one feature that makes it better than fglrx when playing textured video: it doesn't crash the X server when playback ends.

The xorg driver also has "no more tears" support; I'm not sure if fglrx has its own version of that.

Comment

Quite nice future AMD will have whit linux and such now I see

Can't wait to get my HD3200 to be useful in Linux etc.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good news, strange to see that it didn't hit slashdot yet. (where are the hard slashdoters..)
            By the way I was wondering what will be the requirements to experiment with those nice bits. (Xserver from git ?)
            Supporting 3D (compiz, dri2 and not broken opengl within compiz ) by the of the first quarter of 09 ??
            Is it reallistic considering the hardy way you went through and the unpleasant surprise you had to deal with ?
            Anyway can't wait to have a proper opengl 2(+1) compatible driver ...
            Thanks !
            Let's see who from Intel or ATI will have the best driver by the end of April for my Lenovo t400 (two graphic card inside).
            Within compiz every opengl app is completely garbeled (Intel).
            And there is no way for me to get the ATI card working (read X starting) with the radeonhd driver.
            It would be ironic to see AMD be first, hehe
            (like the challenge)

Comment

So in just over a year, AMD has added open-source modesetting, 2D, 3D and Xv support to all of their GPUs? I'm quite impressed! Hopefully this means R800 2D/3D support will come much sooner after the release of the hardware.

I'm currently using an Intel IGP, since my graphics needs aren't that high at the moment, but once GPGPU takes off and/or the open-source drivers perform better with Wine, I intend to upgrade to a discrete AMD/ATi GPU.

Comment

Finally!
                Looks like Christmas came a little late this year... Anyway, seeing you guys kept your promises despite all the stupid DRM hardship finally made me stop regretting the day I decided to support you for your FOSS iniciative.
                Now I believe I'm not only speaking for myself when I promise that I'm gonna reward you with buying your stuff and recommending it to every GNU/Linux user I know as long as you keep supporting us this way. Keep up the excellent work, AMD!
                And John, please relay our sincere thanks to everyone responsible for this wonderful late-Christmas present
                P.S.: I found out fglrx wasn't the only thing responsible for all my trouble - one of the memory modules was corrupting data on several addresses which seems to be where most of the deadlocks came from. I'm just about to toss the whole RAM kit back the store for warranty claim.

Comment

Woohoo! Thanks AMD!

...and thanks to Bridgman for copping all of the flak around here

Comment

I'm happy to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                      Now I'm felling envy.

I can't play under any circumstances 1080p (even with less bitrates) with my AGP x1600pro + Pentium D

Full 720p is kind of problematic with some actions scenes (explosions) where are too much decoding on the scene background.

But, is it improving...

As far as I understand, there should be no differences in playback performance between fglrx and radeon/radeonhd driver, since both just use Xv for playback. and the CPU has to do the decoding in both cases.
                      Maybe this will change after AMD's XvBA for fglrx is released. Hopefully something for the OSS driver is implemented too.

Comment

Working...
                      X